• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best machines to get into heavy equipment rental?

movedirt

Hi everyone, im a new member and this is my first time posting a question, hope im doing this right...
Long story short, i want to start an equipment rental business. I have been around heavy equipment my whole life (I work in my family business, Expoquip, here in East TN - we sell parts/components/attachments for all makes/models and do some rental business already but its mostly larger machines and it is all government customers). I want to obviously start with something small like a mini ex, compact track loader, skid steer, etc... So I was hoping someone with some experience could give me some guidance as i have a couple questions...

1. What type of machine to start with? I am between a small track loader and a mini ex. I see both in my area daily but not sure if one is more desirable, easier to maintain, can rent for more, etc.
2. What are some of the tougher, "dummy proof" brands i should consider. Obviously being a rental unit they will take a beating so i want something that is difficult to damage.

I have plenty of other questions but for right now i am just wondering about the actual equipment to get started with.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

-Santi

p.s. - I received my father's blessing to try this rental thing on my own for anyone who may be thinking its a conflict of interest lol.

cosmaar1

Hi everyone, im a new member and this is my first time posting a question, hope im doing this right...
Long story short, i want to start an equipment rental business. I have been around heavy equipment my whole life (I work in my family business, Expoquip, here in East TN - we sell parts/components/attachments for all makes/models and do some rental business already but its mostly larger machines and it is all government customers). I want to obviously start with something small like a mini ex, compact track loader, skid steer, etc... So I was hoping someone with some experience could give me some guidance as i have a couple questions...

1. What type of machine to start with? I am between a small track loader and a mini ex. I see both in my area daily but not sure if one is more desirable, easier to maintain, can rent for more, etc.
2. What are some of the tougher, "dummy proof" brands i should consider. Obviously being a rental unit they will take a beating so i want something that is difficult to damage.

I have plenty of other questions but for right now i am just wondering about the actual equipment to get started with.

-Santi

p.s. - I received my father's blessing to try this rental thing on my own for anyone who may be thinking its a conflict of interest lol.
You need to pick the machine list based on your customer base and what they need. My local rental place has s595 track loaders as well as comparable in the wheeled version. They also have E35 as their largest size mini x with a few other smaller sizes.

They also have a few man lifts, all of your concrete tools, wood chippers, etc. I could make this list 100x longer.

Again your customer base drives the rental. Huge machines require big trucks to haul them. Which then in turn could require a CDL which not a lot of people have. Everything needs to be 1/2 ton towable , again at least in my area.

Also consider the trailer aspect. My rental places provide a trailer to haul the equipment on free of charge that stays with the machine. Those aren’t cheap nowadays either.

Keith Merrell

It depends on the client base you are going for... commercial contractors or weekend warriors? I would imagine if starting out, one of the most important things to offer would be delivery or a trailer you could rent out with the machine.

I think CTLs and "bobcats" are less intimidating to beginners to try operating, compared to an excavator. So I would be inclined to start with a CTL. I would avoid Bobcat and Cat equipment, it is pretty junky in my opinion. I think Takeuchi makes the best CTL. United Rentals has a whole lot of them. I asked a guy at one of the local rental yards, and he said he is having best luck with Takeuchi equipment.

Some hot ticket rental items out here these days have been gannons, wheeled skid steers, water trucks and water trailers.

I would be inclined also to offer the smaller size excavators, such as deere 17, 26, 35. A lot of contractors have a 12k lb machine and have to rent a smaller one here or there when needed to get into tight places.

Also, regarding rentals, I am not certain, but I would lean more towards brand new equipment as I would hope it would go a little longer without needing repair. I wouldn't want to rent out older equipment and then have someone abuse it a little and push it over the edge. As the rental outfit, when equipment breaks its a huge loss of time and money. And it makes you look bad too.

How many machines do you plan to start with total, and what is your target customer base?

skyking1

I suggest you talk to some independent rental outfits. Most business owners are pretty generous to honest and well thought out questions.
My local outfit at Sequim is a great example, not a chain, not a huge inventory. They rent that trailer for an additional $30 a day, for example. They have Kubota tractors and U35 excavators, and other stuff.
These guys are small, I suspect you will be talking to one of the principals when you call.
D&K Rentals 360-683-4808
A little farther up the food chain but still independent is Aaberg Rentals in Tacoma.
We rent from them almost exclusively at my work.
Aaberg 253-272-1138

They are going to give you some pertinent info that is different from the big chain outfits.

Welder Dave

From reading on here Takeuchi is losing dealerships because they are expecting higher sales than are possible and their parts support and warranty support is lacking and getting worse. So much so that some owners are going to different brands. Tractors with boxblades (Gannons) take a lot of practice to get proficient with and skid steers and CTL's have taken over much of the work done by Gannons. Industrial Tractors with a 3pt. hitch aren't very popular anymore. Cat and Bobcat at the very least have good parts and dealer support which is very important.

The 1st thing you need if you want to get into rentals is a highly qualified mechanic. Without that forget it. Anything and everything will happen with rental machines and customers won't want to wait long for repairs.

Angry Mike

-Santi

I work at a caterpillar rental store, our top money makers are 50' towable lifts, dump trailers, 16' tilt trailers, jumping jacks, and 185cfm mobile compressors