• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best dozer for spreading shot rock

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
How about fine grading with a D47U with small front idlers? That might test ya Deas!! either that or maybe it might bring back some memories. And Im not having a dig at your age........ Yet!!

Deas Plant

Bringing back memories

Hi, Nextdoor.
I did a lot of my early learning on a 2T D4 with small idlers, an agricultural tractor with a standard Cat hydraulic angle dozer. Small or large front idlers, the basic principle is still the same - drive on balance. It's just a bit easier on big idlers is all. Maybe small idlers make better operators?

Re having a shot at my age: no matter what else you may have done in your young lives, there's one thing you young whippersnappers haven't managed to do yet - live long enough to get to be as old as I am. Think you'll live THAT long? LOL.

nextdoor

Occupation
Farming and playing in the dirt
Deas, I guess you would have learned at an early age not to stall it then. Gotta love those donkeys!! Being somewhat lacking in hair and a tad weathered (so my wife tells me) Im happy to be called a whippersnapper! Cheers

Deas Plant

Thin on top?

Hi, Nextdoor.
My brother had a quite pronounced 'thin spot' on top when he got married at age 24. By the time he was 30, he was wearing a toupee 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, 53 weeks a years, even unto bed. Sensitive?

KMS

Track Loaders Work well also , Using the teeth to weed out large rocks and letting the fines fall on top , gives you a smoother grade easy on the body KMS

Deas Plant

Track loaders in rock.

Hi, KMS.
Track loaders may do a pretty fair job spreading rock but I personally would rather have an oscillating-tracked dozer for the job as they ride smoother and it's very difficult to get all the larger rocks COMPLETELY covered with fine material. Plus I have a preference for dozers anyway, the bigger, the better. I spent a lot of hours on 2 iron ore railway projects in Western Australia back in the 1960's, spreading shot rock with Cat D8H's - with semi-U blades.

Sharky

Hi all,

New to the forum here, and a great site.

My opinion on building a road with tons of boulders. I would have to say an 8 with a semi U. Been on a 6R for a year now and LOTS of BIG stuff coming in. A 3' lifts,but a 26' fill, however I seem to see ALOT of 4' rocks. The dozer keeps up fine so long as the drivers dump where they should. All trail dumps hauling in and between 4000-5500 ton a day. So long and its just short of the edge and I can bury the bones and spread the fines over the top it comes out nice.

We have an elliot attachment on the roller to break up the top surface and it works nicely, with just the 6 by itself, it is too light to crush the top surface. And when red topping if it get's 5 or 6 tenths too high, it can be a real SOB to cut. Thats when the 8 would come in handy. Otherwise the 6 is a great machine.