• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

best configuration for quarry digger

sumodude

Hi,

we are starting to operate a quarry for marble dimension stone - it is a new venture for us. We've got an ancient Liebherr that needs replacing. We're based in a remote region in Easter europe with not much choice for equipment locally, but good engineering facilities.

We need a big machine - maybe 40-50 tons to pull down benches, and we have been advised a more mechanical machine rather than a fully electric one might be better in the region.

With that in mind, we were looking at the CAT 345 B. But also the Liebherr 954. On the CAT, I know there are a number of configurations for the u/c including longer and variable gauge. How important is this for a quarry? What about the rock spec? The machines I see with double grousers as opposed to three grousers look a lot more beaten up. Should I get a better conditioned non-rock spec machine, or a beaten up CAT to rock spec?

Thanks for your advice

NB