• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Best aftermarket crawler seat, air or mechanical

shaunw7708

I am currently running a D7h, mainly clearing trees off of farmland. The seat in my crawler is a Kab 301 and is a little tired, I could get new cushions but would like a little better seat. Should I go with the mechanical suspension or the air ride, and what brand is the best for Cat replacement seats. My local supplier has suggested an Ultra seat mechanical suspension J732 with medium backrest. Driving over stumps, rock piles,and blow dirt ridges, thought air maybe a little too bouncy

shaunw7708

We install air-suspended seats in all our tractors. The damping mechanism cuts out the bounce to almost nothing and operators swear by them, or at least their spinal columns do..............

do you know what brand you are using?

shaunw7708

Yes if you could, then I'll phone cat get a price, around $1500 for aftermarket so if cat is close I'll just get theirs. thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The air suspension mechanism is 191-2933.
Various offerings in seats. 184-6012 is brown fabric, 160-7186 is the same seat in grey. 159-2950 is the same seat again but in vinyl.
All seats mate with the 191-2933 suspension group.

You may be able to get something from a dealer to buy the seat and suspension gp together.

crookedwrench

Crookedwrench

I am currently running a D7h, mainly clearing trees off of farmland. The seat in my crawler is a Kab 301 and is a little tired, I could get new cushions but would like a little better seat. Should I go with the mechanical suspension or the air ride, and what brand is the best for Cat replacement seats. My local supplier has suggested an Ultra seat mechanical suspension J732 with medium backrest. Driving over stumps, rock piles,and blow dirt ridges, thought air maybe a little too bouncy

I retrofitted a $600 adjustable spring (mechanical) truck seat on my '67 D4D. It has made a huge difference in my comfort level. It requires some effort to remove and service the area under the seat. I can look up manufacturer later if you are interested.
dwb2611@roadrunner.com

shaunw7708

Think I'm going to go with an ultra air seat, called about the cat one, its $2600, the ultra is around $1200, and its the alternative that cat sells here as do the jobber shops.

Karl Robbers

You won't be sorry opting for an air seat. I assume your chosen seat has its own air compressor.
Having run both spring and air seats in a seriously bumpy environvent, (underground mining haul roads), there is no comparison, particularly if multiple operators are utilised.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
The CAT seat is top of the line but the Ultra Air was my choice .....they are a decent seat. I have one in my D6 and it's holding up real well...I have about 1700 hours in it , so far so good....mechanical seat kill my back , go with the Air your back with thank you....

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
i put a air ride seat out of a semi truck in our 4 wheeldrive tractor , it has 5 different air adjustments in it, for the air i got a cheap 12v. compressor from harbor freight total cost was about 150.00$
[ best thing ever]

shaunw7708

thought about going with a semi seat, I have a little compressor, but I think I'll buy the proper one from Ultra, $1200 isn't really that bad considering what everything else costs for it. I was going to replace one of the doors and it was $1000 with no glass or seal

Nige

thought about going with a semi seat, I have a little compressor, but I think I'll buy the proper one from Ultra, $1200 isn't really that bad considering what everything else costs for it.
A good-quality suspension seat should have the air compressor built into the suspension mechanism and therefore included in the purchase price of the seat IMHO - effectively it's plug & play, you hook 24V up to it and away you go. Beware of any seats that don't ............... and FWIW I wouldn't even consider using a 12V air compressor on a 24V machine.

shaunw7708

A good-quality suspension seat should have the air compressor built into the suspension mechanism and therefore included in the purchase price of the seat IMHO - effectively it's plug & play, you hook 24V up to it and away you go. Beware of any seats that don't ............... and FWIW I wouldn't even consider using a 12V air compressor on a 24V machine.

The ultra seat is a proper construction seat with a built in 12 or 24 volt compressor. Most highway truck seats don't have compressors built in because they run off the truck compressor. I can't imagine a seat that is built for an air ride cab, driving on paved highways being as tough as a seat designed for construction equipment, let alone the height difference.

Nige

The ultra seat is a proper construction seat with a built in 12 or 24 volt compressor. Most highway truck seats don't have compressors built in because they run off the truck compressor. I can't imagine a seat that is built for an air ride cab, driving on paved highways being as tough as a seat designed for construction equipment, let alone the height difference.
I would agree with you 100% ......