• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Berger Manufacturing- Logging Equipment Built in Seattle

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Berger T-23 owned by Duane Bruner from Castle Rock Wa.
Taken up germany creek in 2009.

Attachments

• berger t-23.jpg
    berger t-23.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2,090

furpo

Unknown Burger Tower

I dont know much about this machine other than it has been sitting near the Kinlieth mill for a few years now. There was a Brightwater built BE85 sitting next to it for a while. Hopefully someone will recognise it from the cab which is either sliding or on the opposite side to usual

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,939

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Looks like a T-23 to me and all the cabs were on that side of those machines that I have seen.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Berger M2R 1

More pics from my trip to Forks the week before last. Thanks again to the Dahlgren's for showing me their operation!

Attachments

• IMG_7269.JPG
    IMG_7269.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,815
  • IMG_7291.JPG
    IMG_7291.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,812
  • IMG_7271.JPG
    IMG_7271.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,795
  • IMG_7275.JPG
    IMG_7275.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,788
  • IMG_7295.JPG
    IMG_7295.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,829

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Berger M2R 2

More pictures, of a Berger M2R with a pair of Madill 3800C's on the landing. They were switching from the Boman to butt rigging in the first picture and moving a guyline.

Attachments

• IMG_7312.JPG
    IMG_7312.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,834
  • IMG_7304.JPG
    IMG_7304.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,791
  • IMG_7307.JPG
    IMG_7307.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,812
  • IMG_7310.JPG
    IMG_7310.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,783
  • IMG_7309.JPG
    IMG_7309.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,792
Last edited:

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
Berger M2R 3

And a couple more pics showing the Berger and the next patch of ground they would be yarding. Their Marc 4's and Marc 6's were not working at the time I was visiting and were in the woods farther north towered down. They were just running this side, the Madill 124, and the Madill 172.

Attachments

• IMG_7314.JPG
    IMG_7314.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,087
  • IMG_7321.JPG
    IMG_7321.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,858

NZ BUSH DR

This yarder is now in process of being prepared to log again around Gisborne. Build plate etc is gone, or at least I cant find it any where. But has C-23 on it. I will post photos next couple of days. Also a new purpose built cab going on it.

NZ BUSH DR

I dont know much about this machine other than it has been sitting near the Kinlieth mill for a few years now. There was a Brightwater built BE85 sitting next to it for a while. Hopefully someone will recognise it from the cab which is either sliding or on the opposite side to usual
As my post above. This yarder has tidied up quite well. Looks like it has had a bit of money spent on it.

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Who ended up buying the berger yarder from Tokoroa NZ? Nice straight winch that was in need of going to work..

RAD Logging

Who ended up buying the berger yarder from Tokoroa NZ? Nice straight winch that was in need of going to work..

I have brought this yarder,it will be working in Gisborne with RAD Logging Ltd(www.radlogging.co.nz)It is a C-23 Berger on D8 tracks.80foot Brightwater converted telescoping tower. Run with a Detroit 12V71T engine(12.7L V12).All new ropes 1"1/4 sky,7/8"main,3/4"tail.
We are shifting the machine tomorrow to Gisborne to start work with it.Should be a good machine

Have had the machine at active equipment in Rotorua for the past 6weeks,had the yarder fully stripped down and worked over and a new purpose built cab added too with it set on rails so cab height can be altered cab upright for legal
transportation without having to tilt the cab over.
Will post some pics of it when I get time,don't think I can do it off my phone though.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
I think you just need to do five posts and then you can upload pictues to the website. Usually the easiest way to get pictures off a phone is to email them to yourself. Otherwise if you can transfer them via an internal memory card with an adapter to your computer or many phones you plug directly into the computer and the phone is viewed as an external storage device. Just depends on the kind of phone you have.

Looking forward to seeing your yarder.

furpo

I have brought this yarder,it will be working in Gisborne with RAD Logging Ltd(www.radlogging.co.nz)It is a C-23 Berger on D8 tracks.80foot Brightwater converted telescoping tower. Run with a Detroit 12V71T engine(12.7L V12).All new ropes 1"1/4 sky,7/8"main,3/4"tail.
We are shifting the machine tomorrow to Gisborne to start work with it.Should be a good machine

Have had the machine at active equipment in Rotorua for the past 6weeks,had the yarder fully stripped down and worked over and a new purpose built cab added too with it set on rails so cab height can be altered cab upright for legal
transportation without having to tilt the cab over.
Will post some pics of it when I get time,don't think I can do it off my phone though.

Good news. This was always a machine that I wondered why it was not working every time I drove past. Im looking forward to your pictures. I must have just missed it as I was at Actives on Wednesday.

Rusty Grapple

Well....No, actually. At least I can't anyway. Here's what I do know:

In the mid-1980's Berger was teamed up with 'Amhoist' which was the old 'American Hoist and Derrick'- the American crane people. I think what you have here is an older American crane that was originally (1970's) converted to log-loading shovel. I say that because it wasn't uncommon for American's like this to be mounted on that 60-Ton 4-Axle Pierce carrier you have there. (On a side-note, I've never seen a 60-ton Pierce that did not have the Clark planetary rearends. This Pierce here has either Rockwell or Timken planetaries, I can't tell which- but not the usual Clarks). Berger was a good and capable carrier-builder, so I think this conversion probably took place earlier, long before the merger. If you can find a Serial-Number ID Tag on that carrier we can determine the year it was built, but early 1970's would be my guess.

Anyway I suspect someone decided they wanted to convert this thing to a yarder in the 1980's, and drug her into Berger/Amhoist to get the drums enlarged and the guylines/gantry added and maybe a new yarding boom built. It looks like it was also re-powerd and a bigger radiator added at some point too. Likely at that same time it was re-painted and re-stickered with the Berger logos. I wonder how it worked? That American crane upper was a pretty reliable setup in it's day.

Its a really cool looking machine- great find! Did you see the boom around there anywhere, or get to talk with anyone who might know something about its history?
If anyone else has an idea feel free to jump in here- I'm guessing on the whole thing.

Last edited:

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Thanks Rusty! No I didn't see any other booms laying around. There wasn't anybody around the shop either, even though the shop truck parked out back next to the TimberJack buncher was wide open, with tools scatterd about. I also couldn't find any serial number tags on either the carrier or the upper. I have learned to look from all you guys on this site!

The machine wasn't sitting there back in Febuary when I drove this road into Spokane. (I shot these pics 3 weeks ago)

BCC Tyee

Does anyone have the specs ie: line pulls and cable sizes for a m3? I'm looking at buying one. Are these good machines? I'm new to bergers. Thanks for any info.