• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Belt squeal at high RPM

housemover

I just bought a used ASV RC50. The belt starts to squeal at about 75% throttle and gets worse at 100%. Any thoughts? New belt, pulley wearing out, any suggestions would be helpful. Im not a mechanic BTW, but I am trying to fix my own stuff lately. I figure I should learn how sooner or later.

housemover

Implying that the belt may be to loose? The alternator is all the way out, so maybe the belt is stretched. Maybe a new one is in order

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Implying that the belt may be to loose? The alternator is all the way out, so maybe the belt is stretched. Maybe a new one is in order
You never mentioned that before ......... Also as posted above, maybe someone has previously installed the closest "will fit" belt they could get their hands on and it's too long, or if it's a "will fit" maybe it's the wrong section so it could either be riding too deep or too high in the pulleys.I would say the first step is to find out what is the correct belt for the application and then see if there are any legible markings on the current belt that allow you to compare what you actually have with what you should have.

Randy88

What's the belt run, is there an alternator on it, if so, maybe pull that as well to have it checked for bearing issues, or if there's a fan or water pump spin those by hand to see if there are bearing issues with those as well, I'm not familiar with the ASV lineup much, there are some around but never really looked at them myself. Just a few suggestions to have a look at when replacing the belt.

housemover

I looked up the belt, it requires a 39". Im checking it today. Im also replacing the alternator later today. The belt spins the a fan and alternator. I will crank them by hand also to check for drag i assume.

Randy88

Anytime I take an alternator off, I take it in and have my repair shop bench test it to make sure its operating like it should and do whatever repairs are necessary so its years till I need to do it again, with some luck involved of course, depending on hours put on the unit each year.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I've had squealing belt issues on both my Bobcat 743 & 955 Deere cut.

In BOTH cases I had replaced the belts with the cogged type from the auto parts store. Everything else checked out fine, so I went back to an oem type solid belt.

Problem solved.

Ed