1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

BELAZ 450 ton dump truck specifications released along with a model of the truck!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by dominikat12, May 10, 2013.

1. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    View attachment 107219

And looking at the above picture the left front wheels are far back and the right fronts look to be way forward. So I 'm thinking the axles pivot and not just the ends by the hubs. Also if both axles are steering each one would have to turn less than if only one did.

One question is who lifts up those ladders after the operator is in the truck? Or is there a jack of some kind to do it?

2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Of course the shovel operator will never load one side heavy and all the haul roads will be smooth as a pool table!

3. blitz138

blitz138 Senior Member

I know Luminant in Texas is looking at them. Belaz is attempting to break into the US market, there's quite a bit of interest from what I've heard.

http://www.belaztrucks.com/

4. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    I never thought of that. problem solved then:)

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

The answer was in the thread all along. Look at the photo of the chassis on page 1 - apparently both axles will steer. All makes (some sort of) sense now.

6. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

RayF, question for a Lineborer.

Do you ever worry that someone is going to convince a boss that grease is cheaper than pins, bearings and line-bore work?

7. dominikat12

dominikat12 Well-Known Member

360 ton empty vehicle weight and being 4x4 makes it the vehicle with most tugging power on land. It can definitely outpull a cat 797 in a tug of war match or even the biggest dozers. Probably the large excavators are the only ones which can beat such a machine

8. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . . So basically this beast has a turntable front and back. Anyone like to discuss the design philosophy behind such a system . . . that's how we used to steer our billy carts.

I find it surprising they went in at the deep end with an unconventional system on the largest truck, you would have thought it would have been proven up on smaller units . . . or perhaps it was and we don't know about it.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    I used to 25 year ago but I soon realised its never going to happen.:)

10. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . . They will have done the calculations but my first thought was stability. Imagine an uphill cambered full lock turn . . . both sets of wheels on the inside of the turn move towards the centreline.

It would be interesting to se a video of a couple of full lock circles, probably wouldn't even be noticeable although I recall Kurt Johansen had some issues with his first self steering road train trailers which had a similar set up.

Cheers

11. blitz138

blitz138 Senior Member

heh thats my job

12. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Your job is to convince bosses that proper maintenance should be considered an investment and not a cost? Good luck with that!

Around here we are told that instead of repairing something before failure does not allow the company to get "full utilization" out of the part. If we question that idea we are told "You don't see the whole picture." I could go on but probably should start a new topic for that.

13. rare ss

rare ss Senior Member

I'm no engineer or mining fleet analyst but I would have thought the large tare weight of this thing (extra fuel and tyre usage) would kill any production gains with the extra payload??

14. Jewish

Jewish Well-Known Member

15. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    I'm sure the gear we work on will continue to get bigger and better. Whether that truck works out remains to be seen.

16. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I've ordered the sofa and popcorn. Should be a good fillum ........ :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. blitz138

blitz138 Senior Member

Keep up the posts Jewish, at least its a lively discussion.

18. Jewish

Jewish Well-Known Member

Can't wait until they start to disassemble it for transportation to Kemerovo (4300 km from the factory).

187030d1342115449-creative-audigy-se-sb0570-pci-popcorn-cat_1_.gif

19. Jewish

Jewish Well-Known Member

20. Jewish

Jewish Well-Known Member