• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bedrock thumb review

Owenfred

Hello all,

I bought a car 314d lcr a while ago. I have a ranch that needs to be cleaned in California. Lots of down trees after it mostly burned in the wildfires.

The excavator didn't come with a thumb, and I really needed one for my needs. I found a few thumbs used from hunt tractor, but bedrock was way lower cost, new, and progressive linkage.

It came well crated and was very easy to install. The dimensions were accurate in the instructions as were the settings for pressure it seems.

I welded it on with a 300a xmt304 mig running .045 dual shield. I've been using it for over a year now and no issues. It's got excellent range of motion, and I've picked up trees big enough to want to tip the 314.

I'm happy with my purchase and wanted to share here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230502-230232.png
    Screenshot_20230502-230232.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20230502-230127.png
    Screenshot_20230502-230127.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20230502-225954.png
    Screenshot_20230502-225954.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 94

Tinkerer

That is a really decent looking thumb you have Owenfred.
It is nice to see the photos and the update on how it worked out for you.
I never heard of Bedrock Attachments.
I looked at their website and was quite impressed with the huge number of products they offer.
Here is a link for anyone that wants to check them out.
Bedrock Weblink

Owenfred

Honestly, I waited to write the review because I was worried about that old adage you get what you pay for, but in this case it seems the product performs well, and costs significantly less.

I priced a aftermarket thumb from the local cat dealer and it was more than double the cost. As a mechanical engineer, I looked at the two side by side and it looked like a better stronger design.

I only questioned the life of the cylinder which technically I could replace and still be $$$ ahead.

It seems to be working just fine so I'm happy with the product and especially the price. No affiliation with them, other than a happy customer.

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
Hey guys, thank you for your compliments! This is Jack, I'm the owner of Bedrock Attachments. We will keep doing our best to serve the industry.
Btw, we always keep the cylinders in stock. So within one year, it's under warranty, and after a year, you can buy it and we can ship it out next day.

JordanDavid

Hello all,

I bought a car 314d lcr a while ago. I have a ranch that needs to be cleaned in California. Lots of down trees after it mostly burned in the wildfires.

The excavator didn't come with a thumb, and I really needed one for my needs. I found a few thumbs used from hunt tractor, but bedrock was way lower cost, new, and progressive linkage.

It came well crated and was very easy to install. The dimensions were accurate in the instructions as were the settings for pressure it seems.

I welded it on with a 300a xmt304 mig running .045 dual shield. I've been using it for over a year now and no issues. It's got excellent range of motion, and I've picked up trees big enough to want to tip the 314.

I'm happy with my purchase and wanted to share here.
Hi, Im looking at the same thumb for my 311F, Is your thumb still holding up good?

Owenfred

All good so far. I've grabbed some monster trees. It holds everything my cat hydraulics lift.

No complaints here. Cat wanted $12k for a psc. So far this was the best deal ever.. I think I paid right at $5k so $7k savings.

Since then I've bought a 60" rake and a 12" trenching bucket all of which have been great. No idea how they are for warranty... Never had any issues. I was weary of the cylinder quality, but it's been great. Figured if it failed and I replaced it with brand name I'd still be way ahead, but even that has been fine.

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
Hi Owen, thank you for your words. We stand behind our products for sure. We offer one year warranty, and we have parts available in stock. Ring us if you have any issue.

Welder Dave

I noticed Ritchie Bros/Iron planet has a lot of Bedrock products listed on their links. Is there some kind of affiliation with them? Also wondering if Bedrock has a Canadian sales branch? I saw some grader scarifier shanks for $50 that is at least $25 less than anything else and come with the tips. Not sure if they came with the keepers to hold them in the beam but would like to get some Cad. pricing and where I could buy them.

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
Hi Welder,
With Rb, we only sell once a year in Rb Orlando auction, it's good exposure for branding, other than that we don't want to sell too many through auctions.
Right now, Headwater and Finning are two main dealers selling our products. I don't know if they have scarifier shanks in stock. Yes it comes with the keepers.
We are considering have a warehouse in Toronto ourselves. Where are you located?

Welder Dave

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta. I saw them listed for sale on on RB/IP sites but not from the auctions. That's where I saw the prices. I did see Headwater has Bedrock.

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
Oh, do you mean Ritchielist? They bought Mascus so it's just an ads site now, similar to machinerytrader, rockanddirt, mylittlesalesman and etc.

Welder Dave

Maybe, it has the RB logo on it. I was wondering if I could get it through RB. Do you sell direct at all or give a HEF discount? RB's biggest site in N. America is about 1/2 an hour away from me. It looks like a lot of scarifier shanks are universal fit but a few are specific. Volvo/Champion looks to be standard 3"x1" with notches on the front side. Not sure if you would have Cad. pricing? Maybe could PM me with some more info.

TallDan

I installed a bedrock progressive link thumb and hkx hydraulic kit on my cat 316 last spring. I used it heavily this year and it performed perfect. Really heavy duty. Arrived in perfect shape and was really welly crated. Easy to install. Probably the best value out there. IMG_0572.jpegIMG_0636.jpeg

Raz2

I am thinking of buying Bedrock forestry kit for my D5K2, does anyone have experience with their forestry products

Owenfred

Thumb is still going strong. No issues at all. Never messed with their forestry kits, but I'd love to have one for my excavator. I'm considering a mower attachment now.