• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Beat PC200-6 for farm use. Advise? Run away?

mattkemner

Hello,

Been looking at this fourm for a while as a guest, first time posting a thred. Have to thank the experts on here for their knowledge and sharing it with the community.

We have been looking for a mini ex for putting a bunch of irrigation and underground electric in with around our property, as well as just moving large stuff around.

Can't really find them in our price range. Started looking at larger machines in the same or cheaper price range.;)

So I came across a PC 200-6 "project" to hopefully get some of my other projects completed.

Seller acquired the machines with some property that they purchased. They really don't know what it is. Just want it gone. It doesn't have the serial number plate on it. Looks like it was pried off.

Seller is ok with providing a bill of sale with engine and hyd pump serial numbers.

Anyone know if the S/N are stamped anywhere else on this machine

I took a ride out to look at it last week. Machine has certainly seen a lot of action and a few bandaid repairs.

The stepper or servo that works the injection pump is missing. Instead there is a rope and pully system to the cab. You sit on the rope and shift your checks to throttle up and auto deceleration when you get up!

Also has a jumper wire going to the battery to unlock the swing brake.

Installed the 2 batteries I brought with me and the machine started right up. Engine ran smoothly with no odd noises, just a lot of exhaust noise since the tube from the turbo to the can is rotted.

Hydraulics are quiet, but they stall the engine when making quick movements. If feathering the controls it has enough power to boom up with the stick all the way out. Can also lift itself up.

So from my reading so far I think my problem is something causing the pumps to not de-stroke.

The EPC or the LS solenoids, related wiring, or related hydraulic circuits are probably where my problem is.

The switches in the fuse panel don't make the machine run any differently.

Can't get codes either. The lcd display is burned out. Sounds like that is a common problem with these machines.

So any advice? I plan on going back for a second look later this week. Anything specific to look for? Dipper and grapel are loose. Didn't bring a dial indicator to measure the play in the slewing ring.

Are there any LEDs on the pump or engine ecu to see if there alive?

Also, any idea on the year? No serial number

Not too afraid of the projuct. I work as a machinest now. Was a mechanic for years prior.

Won't need this machine until this summer, so I have time to tinker, make or find parts.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240105_154325.jpg
    20240105_154325.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 20240105_154344.jpg
    20240105_154344.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
  • 20240105_153924.jpg
    20240105_153924.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 20240105_153910.jpg
    20240105_153910.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
If you like to torture yourself, I would only pay for what it's worth to scrap it, minus mobilization. Monkey with it, but realize that every dollar you spend, is money you will never see again. Try and get whatever value you need to, to get done what you need, watch scrape prices and haul it when you can maximize your value. Know that you could rent the exact size machine you need for hundreds of dollars a day. There is no way working through this POS can make much sense any other way (other than just walking away, that makes even more sense).

mattkemner

Thanks for the reply Ksss, it's listed for about 2k above the current scrap value for so there's not too far to fall as it's nearly fully deprecated.

I'm sorta looking at it like a chance to learn how machine hydraulics work. I have experience with stationary equipment and ag tractor hydraulics. But would like to have some more experience with pilot controls and variable displacement pumps.

Are there any ways to determine if the computer is functional or if it's a zombie?

Also, any way to ballpark a date without the s/n?

Thank you again,
Mk

skyking1

the date is really not important. If you really can't walk away from this misery pit, I would research that business and phone number on the side of the boom.
You might be able to back your way into a serial number by finding some records that way.

Jonas302

If its was priced right and close for transport I would buy it just for the grapple bucket

cfherrman

Well I know Jack but if you can get it something 2k under scrap and you think you can do all your work without messing with the machine very much, I'm talking less than a day, then it doesn't sound too bad......I guess

excavator

The Komatsu -6 was a pretty good machine. The engine bogging down is likely an electrical issue, could be tied into the stepper motor being gone. First thing you need to do is your homework, how close is your nearest Komatsu excavator dealer? What kind of dealer are they? are they known to be a good & fair dealership? How are their parts prices? We like to help out people on this forum but the last thing we need is another "non-contractor" buying a wore out machine and then coming here and whining about the price of parts, ect. In other words, know where you are likely to land before you jump.

Jonas302

I do have a pdf manual if you decide to to go further send me a pm and I will try to email it
Its been a while but I'm thinking we hotwired the swing brake also when the computer went out but the machine didnt work properly and had ecm put in to restore function

Things being loose and sloppy would be no concern on a farm machine or the looks Call komotsu with the serial and see how much a ecm might be before you go further and if it needs to be programmed who knows they may have diagnostic records on it before it was rope rigged

Our250-6 sold for $8000 pre covid beat to pieces ulgy and fully functional to give you an idea

Welder Dave

Looks to be a somewhat abused demolition machine. I think it would be better to spend more money on something that at least all the parts are there and hasn't bastardized. Do you really want a machine that if you fart you lose power or the engine dies? Also nice to have a working monitor on a machine than can give you codes for problems.