• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

eastroad

In place of motor oil or add some with motor oil?
Mixed with the gas. Ratio on the can or bottle says 4oz to ten gallons.
I don’t think much of it burns in the cylinder, but it does lube the valve guides and stems, an I’m surehelps rusting valve sticking in storage.
Old practice; probably not necessary with modern engines but it has worked for me for years. The suggestion to use two stroke oil is a good one, and I imagine would work just as well.

56wrench

Around here there are still a number of old Versatile tractors still running with 855 small-cams

cfherrman

What's bad about it? Low power, not reliable, low flow cooling system?

I'd actually like to use some for stationary power if I'm ever not broke

mekanik

The small cam engines had a few issues a lot were fixed as the engine evolved into the big cam. Adding a second pair of oil pump gears to feed unfiltered oil to the piston cooling nozzles, a piece of debris would find its way into a piston cooling nozzle and cause a piston failure. The full flow oil cooling system fixed that. A big key in the taper nose crank that would crack at the end of the key-way and the end of the crank and the damper would fall off. The straight nose crank with the six bolt flange fixed that.
The NTA 400 small cam had injector lobe wear problems and cold starting issues even on a warm day.
The big cam went from a 2" diameter to 2 1/2" diameter journal this allowed for a longer ramp on the injector lobe and greatly increased life. Crowned cam follower rollers were a big help too.
The later model small cam engines 350 HP or less were quite reliable and gave good service life for the time.

Truck Shop

Small cams were fine if left alone-stock. The biggest issue for any of the small cams & early
big cams was liner leaking issues. The lower press fit liner introduced in the small bolt blocks
{NT88's} stopped that. All blocks from then on were lower press fit. Yes taper nosed cranks
could break, yes the cam in the small cams would/could erode the ramps--but allot of that
was caused by over fueling stressing the cams. Over fuel a big cam too far without flowed
injectors and the same will happen.
CPL 495 was the small cam 400, timed at 56. It wasn't a successful endeavor for cummins.

JaredV

When buying a new truck back then, could you spec what CPL you wanted or just the horsepower and took what they wanted to give you?

Truck Shop

When buying a new truck back then, could you spec what CPL you wanted or just the horsepower and took what they wanted to give you?
You could spec horse power--the CPL was tied to the updated engines as per year. BC-I's ran from
76 up to 79, with many updates. BCII was late 79 to late 82, BCIII 82 to late 85, BCVI late 85 up.
Just as Cat, Cummins was what was available at that time. But Cummins had several engine model
choices. This last Monday I was in Spokane at the machine shop where I have work done. They had
two very expensive dinosaurs in for work- a E9 Mack with very major block work $$$$. The other
a KTA 600, all six heads were junk {major cracking and had already been surfaced too many times.
$3,800 each was the price, cam followers $3,000 each--but the block needed major attention,
so best guesstimate was $67,000.

Truck Shop

Really 3K for followers each?
No call for them--That's cummins price-might find {I say might} for half that. Complete rebuilt
aftermarket for a BC 855 are running $500. Just roller kits with pins are expensive. Not too
many KT's running around--too heavy for one and like the fuel.