• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One of the V-4 Wisconsins we had was on a Marlow water pump. That one was a crank only engine, no electric start. That one got both my dad and myself with the crank handle between the eyes! I know not suppose to keep cranking only pull up through compression on one cylinder at a time.

Last one I worked on was on a wood chipper I borrowed from the brother-in-law of a guy I worked with to chip up the small branches from a tree that fell in my yard. Of course I spent ten times as long fixing things to get it to run as I did using it. But at least he paid for all the parts!

kshansen

Occupation
Now that I think about it the first V-4 Wisconsin I worked on was in a very early Bobcat skid-steer. That was one of the Bobcats that were not hydro-static drive. Engine had an hydraulically adjustable pulley on it and a wide V-belt that transferred power to the steering clutches. Those four clutches were engaged by a cam system in each drive box on the sides.

I think that big pulley put too much side load on the crank as the one were had managed to snap the crank I believe just inboard of the rear taper roller bearing.

To fix it we went to some farm near where the working group leader lived and pulled an engine off an old hay bailer that had been abandoned years before. Took crank out of that engine and the broken off end of the original engine to the local machine shop and they machined the end of the "new" crank to match the broken one!

Not sure how long it lasted but it ran when we shipped it back to the plant that it came from.

Truck Shop

Took crank out of that engine and the broken off end of the original engine to the local machine shop and they machined the end of the "new" crank to match the broken one!
When I worked automotive machine we would see at least seven every winter from swathers &
bailers. The V4D because a flathead if left out would get moisture and stick the valves. The head
bolts normally would snap, because of that issue I would just go through with a air gun and twist
them off. Set the cylinders up in the Quickway and drill & helicoil them all put back together with
anti-seize. The rods on those were poured babbit, so rods were converted to insert bearings.
The distributors we set up in a Snap On distributor machine/tester, we could completely tune the
distributor before installation, rebuilt the carbs. They would fire instantly & run smooth. Most every
shop back in those years had a distributor machine, every distributor when I worked foreign car
was pulled and set using that machine--tune ups were a snap. You knew just how much curve at
any rpm, some would turn enough rpm to actually see points float which told you whether you
installed a good brand. We used allot of Standard ignition parts back then & had the best luck.

Truck Shop

Snap-On-MT-605-Distribuscope-Distributor-Tester.webp

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Now that I think about it the first V-4 Wisconsin I worked on was in a very early Bobcat skid-steer. That was one of the Bobcats that were not hydro-static drive. Engine had an hydraulically adjustable pulley on it and a wide V-belt that transferred power to the steering clutches. Those four clutches were engaged by a cam system in each drive box on the sides.

I think that big pulley put too much side load on the crank as the one were had managed to snap the crank I believe just inboard of the rear taper roller bearing.

To fix it we went to some farm near where the working group leader lived and pulled an engine off an old hay bailer that had been abandoned years before. Took crank out of that engine and the broken off end of the original engine to the local machine shop and they machined the end of the "new" crank to match the broken one!

Not sure how long it lasted but it ran when we shipped it back to the plant that it came from.
Must have been a 610 or smaller for the sidewise engine. The M700 we've had for years has the VG4D motor in it.

20240513_175708.jpg20240513_175612.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
When I worked automotive machine we would see at least seven every winter from swathers &
bailers. The V4D because a flathead if left out would get moisture and stick the valves. The head
bolts normally would snap, because of that issue I would just go through with a air gun and twist
them off. Set the cylinders up in the Quickway and drill & helicoil them all put back together with
anti-seize. The rods on those were poured babbit, so rods were converted to insert bearings.
The distributors we set up in a Snap On distributor machine/tester, we could completely tune the
distributor before installation, rebuilt the carbs. They would fire instantly & run smooth. Most every
shop back in those years had a distributor machine, every distributor when I worked foreign car
was pulled and set using that machine--tune ups were a snap. You knew just how much curve at
any rpm, some would turn enough rpm to actually see points float which told you whether you
installed a good brand. We used allot of Standard ignition parts back then & had the best luck.
Agree on the stuck valves in the flatheads, seen that more than once with the water pump engine we had for a few years. Not recalling any snapped head bolts, maybe just lucky. As for the distributer machine never lucky to have access to one of those, but then 95% of what we worked on was diesel so other than a couple odd-ball gas starting IH diesels not much call for distributer work other than company pick-up trucks.

56wrench

I still run a VG4D in a portable compressor. The engine was originally off an old Hesston self-propelled swather— one of the first models built in the mid fifties. I was lucky to score an original service manual/parts book. To help with the sticky valves, i occasionally dump some 2-stroke oil in the gas tank. They were quite a popular engine in swathers and light industrial small machines. They have their quirks. I would rather work on them than some other engines.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
I still run a VG4D in a portable compressor. The engine was originally off an old Hesston self-propelled swather— one of the first models built in the mid fifties. I was lucky to score an original service manual/parts book. To help with the sticky valves, i occasionally dump some 2-stroke oil in the gas tank. They were quite a popular engine in swathers and light industrial small machines. They have their quirks. I would rather work on them than some other engines.
Heh... If you notice, the back door on that is about 8" out from the frame. That has about 200lbs. "extra" hanging off the a$$... Who ever put that motor in didn't remove the bell house or flywheel.

Who needs bolt on external weights???? :p
:p:p

kshansen

Occupation
Forget what it was on but did see something just this afternoon parked in a lot with one of those VG4D or similar engines on it. Think it was some kind of construction machinery.

I was busy watching traffic on the way home with the "new to me" 72 inch Woods mower deck for my Farmall. With any luck I should have that mounted tomorrow and get cutting some grass.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Between ag pumps and concrete sawa was where I saw the ones I worked. Always amazing as nearly buried alive in
Saw dust these engines would survive. Schuman Paving had four saws, i nearly had one saw engine in state of overhaul every month in summer as they had a fifth as a spare, Emerald View Sod had seven pumps. Pumps would nearly always have first start issues as dried down over winter. Gas was drained but carb gaskets would shrink oil drained off old rings, valves hang and mud dobbers heaven. Still dependable as any abused engine I ever had to throw back together

kshansen

Occupation
Still dependable as any abused engine I ever had to throw back together
Agree, that water pump engine that smacked me and dad while at times hard to start would run for hours unattended pumping water out of quarry pit. It was set up with an old round saddle tank probably 40 gallons or more. Run all night unattended and check oil when refilling the tank.

Old Doug

I have one that the crankshaft is cut off and one cylinder on each side pumps air and the others power it. It was handy till it blowed a sealing ring in the head of one of the air compressor cylinders. Its been seating for 25 + year. When i get it dug out if its stuck i will scrap it.