• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BC logging equipment left to rust

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the great pictures.

When I first looked at the photos, I thought that it might be Willamette Iron and Steel's answer to the Lidgerwood Skidder, however those were rail mounted machines as far as I know and this clearly is/was not. If it is this rare machine, it would be the only remaining example of the Willamette combination machine and should be preserved, but the cost would be something north of astronomical. One can only hope that the scrappers do not find it, although there are a lot of online references to its general location and I see a road leads right to it. I do not see the steel tower that was needed for yarding, although there could be a lot of reasons for it being absent.

Taking a second look at the photos makes me think that this was just a large yarder, probably an earlier version of the log skid mounted one at Camp 18 near Seaside, Oregon. It does not have enough drums to be a combination yarder/loading machine like the Lidgerwood and the Willamette copy, but it was built for large cable and lots of it.

Anyone else want to offer an opinion?

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel

When I first looked at the photos, I thought that it might be Willamette Iron and Steel's answer to the Lidgerwood Skidder, however those were rail mounted machines as far as I know and this clearly is/was not. If it is this rare machine, it would be the only remaining example of the Willamette combination machine and should be preserved, but the cost would be something north of astronomical. One can only hope that the scrappers do not find it, although there are a lot of online references to its general location and I see a road leads right to it. I do not see the steel tower that was needed for yarding, although there could be a lot of reasons for it being absent.

Taking a second look at the photos makes me think that this was just a large yarder, probably an earlier version of the log skid mounted one at Camp 18 near Seaside, Oregon. It does not have enough drums to be a combination yarder/loading machine like the Lidgerwood and the Willamette copy, but it was built for large cable and lots of it.

Any word on the Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits and their mission to reassemble the Number 5 Lidgerwood from Vail? Last I heard, it was still sitting in pieces after being transported from the Camp 6 Museum at Point Defiance Park.

crisco6255

Occupation
hooktender/timbertramp
It was converted to a twin diesal power and was place on wheals and dragged with cats

farmIT

Silly question...Why is logging dried up? Is it the trees are too small? I know we still buy /need wood? With the pine beetle ect I would think this iron would be going like crazy to log it out and stop the bugs? Also why are guys sitting on fairly recent iron like that t800 and those cat skidders? I am from Sask so excuse my ignorance lol. Just curious?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler

This is a news paper clipping I found in Bob James pictures , this I'm told is the same "Skidder" in its "Hey Days" as the one in the Copper Canyon area .scan778.jpg

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Camptramp - thanks for the old news paper photo, but I am a bit doubtful that it is the same as the rusting machine on page 31. Not enough drums and the one on page 31 appears to be a good bit shorter than the one you posted, although the design and construction are basically the same.

skadill

Washington Line loader

know a guy that ran this a bunch dewatering logs.borrowed net pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,088

skadill

done for the day

link belt/madill 046

Attachments

• DSCN0112.jpg
    DSCN0112.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 880
  • DSCN0128.jpg
    DSCN0128.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 887

HDX

RCAF used a number of them Hank for fuel trucks etc. No idea of date of manufacture but you are right there is not a lot of them out here

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
RCAF used a number of them Hank for fuel trucks etc. No idea of date of manufacture but you are right there is not a lot of them out here
Should of guess the Government would have them out in the West, with out dealers.

skadill

Scot

Not the sleekest trucks ever imagined or created,this one was Formans from Boston Bar,BC

Attachments

• DSCN2430 (2).jpg
    DSCN2430 (2).jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 810

HDX

skadill Looks like the same spec's as the ones I posted. Maybe they all came out together as dump trucks Look like the same Reliance box's don't they.