• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BC logging equipment left to rust

BDFT

What the Hell is that? It looks like someone looked at an 071 and then went home and built one from memory.

skadill

Roadbuider

Hitachi UH171 Retiree.I posted this a year ago in loaders,limbers,roadbuilders,but it fits better here and video is now posted:http://youtu.be/-p3Apd2AFOk

Attachments

• DSCN2857.jpg
    DSCN2857.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 2,741
  • DSCN2860.jpg
    DSCN2860.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 2,716

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
What the Hell is that? It looks like someone looked at an 071 and then went home and built one from memory.

What winch setups on the back of it ? Hyster tractor donkey or other ? More pics !

It's a Skagit yarder (don't remember the model now) mounted on what looks like, but we couldn't 100% confirm to be a D9G. I have no idea what the drum setup is as it was all covered up by a tarp and we didn't want to unwrap the thing... I do have some more pictures and here they are, I though I had a few more, better ones but I guess not...

Attachments

• DSC00949 (Small).JPG
    DSC00949 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,621
  • DSC00950 (Small).JPG
    DSC00950 (Small).JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 2,617
  • DSC00952 (Small).JPG
    DSC00952 (Small).JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 2,608
  • DSC00960 (Small).JPG
    DSC00960 (Small).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,622
Last edited:

furpo

Is it a double mains machine? The two lower tower sheaves appear to be the same size and the twin clutch levers thing is common on GT era Skagit swing yarders.

Rusty Grapple

I fell totally in love with this thing! Hopefully I can maybe haul it home one day (If the wife lets me that is)...

Wow Spitzair, GREAT find! Here's a shot leaving the Skagit factory and headed out for the first time.
Picture is from my secret stash and never before shared- I have a bunch of pictures of this one- went to Weyerhaeuser new.
I wonder how many of these were built? Notice blade on railcar that came off the dozer at Skagit.

Attachments

• IMG_0998 aa - RG.jpg
    IMG_0998 aa - RG.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,557

skadill

Above D9G-Skagit Yarder

I wasn't going to post these pics and video for quite a while,but it might as well stay tight together with the above info and photos, Thanks to 'Spitzair',who was kind enough to let me tag along with him that day and we inspected this machine together.The awesome black and white photo above seems to be an earlier model with the cable blade lift.Heres the Video:http://youtu.be/qSfMEWTLCK0

Attachments

• dscn0973.jpg
    dscn0973.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 2,618
  • dscn0975.jpg
    dscn0975.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 2,511
  • dscn0976.jpg
    dscn0976.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 2,516
  • dscn0977.jpg
    dscn0977.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 2,541

ben46a

Skadill, if you look close in your pictures you can see the hanger for the cable sheave on the hardnose, its a cable machine as well. Would be neat if they were the same one! The machine serial number is on the upper left corner of the rear of the transmission case (which is covered) and the right hand side of the engine towards the rear of the block (behine that huge tank).

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Is a 18A D9D. Hard to believe its just sitting there abandoned ?
Be interesting to know how well it performed at work.

Skadill, if you look close in your pictures you can see the hanger for the cable sheave on the hardnose, its a cable machine as well. Would be neat if they were the same one! The machine serial number is on the upper left corner of the rear of the transmission case (which is covered) and the right hand side of the engine towards the rear of the block (behine that huge tank).

I looked on the rear left side of the engine for a serial number tag, obviously didn't find it if it's on the other side... This thing is far from abandoned, it's being stored by the owner, possibly awaiting it's next job. He figured we could pull the tarp off, start it up and start working if we wanted... It's a beautiful machine!

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
ben46a the Cat post 86 has a front end power unit The Cat in post 87 does not but yes it was a cable rig at one time

Last edited:

skadill

Hi,Please don't post names of areas where the old iron is parked,even though it is the wrong name.I have full videos and photos of every piece there to be shared eventually on this thread.It furthers no purpose or benefit to the owner publicizing the locations of defensless machinery in a world of scrap seeking persons.This has all been gone over in the 'Alaskan Logging Equipment' left to rust thread a while back.It will also result in less machinery available to be enjoyed or owners willing to let us view or photo it.I have tons of stuff to add to this thread still, and will not post it if it becomes blatantly obvious where the pieces are ,if others comment or give a treasure map to the whereabouts to make them selves look ' in the know' or important.

Last edited:

Rusty Grapple

Sadly, Skadill is absolutely right (as usual I should add). I learned the hard way that several 'less than scrupulous' characters actually troll these threads looking for the locations of vulnerable machinery for the sole purpose of scrapping it. They are among us all the time and if they cannot contact the owner easily or directly then often they'll just help themselves and soon a pile of slag is all that exists when the photographer or owner returns. I posted a machine which was scrapped without permission and the owner blamed me directly as I had posted the machine shortly before the theft. I am taking more pics today than I ever have, yet share far fewer for fear of putting a machine in harms way.

At this point complete secrecy is a must I'm afraid.

Scott_527

What's back there for equipment? Looks like a 7280 boom and maybe a couple old 7220s? Was anyone able to get serial numbers or anything? Looks like an awesome place to explore!

skadill

White Log Truck

Took this pic in 1992,it disappeared a couple years later.It was last used in 1973 according to the date on the licence plate.I used to see a fair bit of this stuff even back then,but film was expensive,and this stuff wasn't so hard to come by then,It was a shame not to have caught more on camera.But until recently in the computer age here,there was no outlet to share these photos back then or realize anyone else liked this stuff as well.

Attachments

• logtruck14 copy.jpg
    logtruck14 copy.jpg
    397.2 KB · Views: 2,212
  • logtruck15 copy.jpg
    logtruck15 copy.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 2,212