• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BC logging equipment left to rust

HDX

That is great Al, Now two guys have talked about it so that means it is a start. Did it have a couple 150 Cummins engines mounted on her? Could probably use 220 Cummins instead because they are still around. Still a number of your guys down there with the knowledge to put it together again. would be the only one around. Do you still have a couple sled builders around? We kept looking around Sarita area for enough to put a sled together ourselves. At least all the stuff is still there with the machine Would only be a matter of drawing a map of what is there and what you would be able to save. Is the remains of the speeder worth bringing out with the rest? Will give you a call one nite and have a BS

dirty4fun

Sure hope that the old Bear Creek skidder can be brought out of hiding for many to see. Would be a lot of work, I am sure but sure a worth while project.

HDX

dirty4fun One of the inividuals that came out with us to the bad place with bug logs has written a number of books of interest that are well worth reading. One in particular stands out because it describes exactly what this skidder in the bush is and could be. Go to your library or even try to google this one and find the book by Stephen Hume called " A Walk With the Rainy Sisters" In there are a number of short stories and one jumps right out at you It is called " The last Donkey" If that does not motivate you nothing will LOL He also co-authored another book called "Stain upon the Sea" So of course I had to blurt out maybe we could do another book We could call it "Stain upon the Forest Floor" What an interesting fellow he is. He has been there and done that so it is all from life through his eyes.

dirty4fun

HDX will do some looking and hope to score on the good interesting reading book. Thanks for the tip

skadill

Madill

most of an 009

Attachments

• img285.jpg
    img285.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 575
  • img286.jpg
    img286.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 565
  • img288.jpg
    img288.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 577

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Just curious if anyone noted a mfg name on the old skidder that was recently posted. It was painted yellow, so does that mean anything, or just a common color back then?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Just curious if anyone noted a mfg name on the old skidder that was recently posted. It was painted yellow, so does that mean anything, or just a common color back then?

I'm not sure what make the Skidder is (I'll check with Sid "Skidder" Smith's son Stu and get the make I'm sure he would know it . The reason it is painted Yellow is because the Skidder was put on a new Sleigh in the late 1950's and refurbished . Here are a couple of pictures of it at the "Old Harris Creek Camp" just about ready to be moved back to the Bear Creek area to resume yarding logs . Pictures are courtesy of born2clearcut / Les Way Collection .c1 oct1961a sled (1)sm.jpgc2 oct1961a sled (2)sm.jpgc3 oct1961a sled (4)sm.jpgc4 oct1961a sledsm.jpg

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Thank you for the pictures - sure looked a lot nicer some sixty years ago. I'm guessing that the elevated cab was added at some point, perhaps when this rebuild was completed?

camptramp

Occupation
Thank you for the pictures - sure looked a lot nicer some sixty years ago. I'm guessing that the elevated cab was added at some point, perhaps when this rebuild was completed?

Your correct the "Cab" was added when Skidder was put on new sleighed . These are pictures of Skidder rigged up , yarding and Skidder being worked on from shop truck .a2  bearcreek19584.jpgscan 882.jpgscan 883.jpgscan 884.jpgscan 885.jpg The Skidder was shut down in 1965 . the last time I visited it was Summer of 1966 , at that time we drove right into the "Landing" the Skidder was left on . Wish I had pictures , but I don't think I owned a Camera at the time .

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
These pictures are of Skidder being loaded on Lowbed for trip to Harris Creek Camp for New Sleighed . 1st picture is Skidder being loaded on Lowbed , 2nd & 3rd picture's are HDX Hayes #212 crossing Three Rivers Trestle . 4th picture is #212 with Lowbed and Skidder crossing San Juan River bridge .a3  may1960renfrew 0.jpgb1 aug1961lowbedTruck2122.jpgb2 aug1961lowbedTruck212.jpgb3 aug1961lowbedTruck2121.jpg Pictures courtesy of born2clearcut / Les Way Collection .

camptramp

Occupation
These last 4 pictures show where the 2 exhaust pipes from the 2 Cummins Engines went through the roof , and the Spark arrestors were located on the ends of straight pipes , no sign of a muffler'sIMG_083.jpgIMG_084.jpgIMG_085.jpgIMG_086.jpg .

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Thanks again for all of the great pictures.

I do have a question to ask about this machine and others like it. When is a set of drums mounted on something a "skidder" and when is it a "yarder" when they seem to essentially do the same operation? Obviously a skidder needed a spar tree to operate in most cases and a yarder had it's own steel spar. Does it have to do with how the machines were moved in the old days, skidding themselves along on the log sled the drums were mounted on?

camptramp

Occupation
Thanks again for all of the great pictures.

I do have a question to ask about this machine and others like it. When is a set of drums mounted on something a "skidder" and when is it a "yarder" when they seem to essentially do the same operation? Obviously a skidder needed a spar tree to operate in most cases and a yarder had it's own steel spar. Does it have to do with how the machines were moved in the old days, skidding themselves along on the log sled the drums were mounted on?

A Skidder is a Yarder , before the Yarders were mounted on self propelled or lowbed carrier's with Steel Towers , most used wooden spar trees to create "Lift" to yard logs off side hills to reduce the chance of logs hanging up on stumps and other obstacle's . There were several systems used , the High Lead system is very basic , the Slack Line system is one that use's a Skyline that can be raised or lowered , the Skidder use's a tight skyline with a means to raise and lower a "Drop Line" from a "Bicycle" Carriage which allowed the "Turn of Logs" to be lifted clear of the ground and yarded to Home Spar Tree . I don't claim to be an expert , but I would say the "Skidder" would be the forerunner of the Long Line Yarders that were used in 1990's and early 2000's around here with a Motorized Carriage with a Drop line to lift the log's off the ground .

camptramp

Occupation
Found this picture of Head Rigger Fred McMurray standing on top of the last Skidder Tree he rigged at BCFP Renfrew Div. in early 1960's 1964 ? this is the same Skidder Tree that was left standing in 1965 , it was 150 ft. tall 3ft. diameter at top .Scan800 F. McMurray on top of 150' Skidder tree.jpg

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Those are my thoughts too . What are the "Hubs" on the ends of of drum shafts for pulling with Rope called , the term we used to use is know longer politically correct.