• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Battery Terminal Wires Overheating Tractor Stops Working

mitch504

I agree with Willie B on this one, his first post sure sounded like a stuck solenoid to me.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Might also help if the original poster could do a short video of him trying to start the tractor. Sometimes seeing and hearing what is happening will answer many questions we would be able to answer in a few seconds if there in person.

One of the biggest hurdles to diagnosing problems like this is the language barrier, I know 99.9% are English speakers but the real problem can be getting the person with the problem to understand terms heavy equipment mechanics are familiar with when talking about things.

Like the basic term voltage drop, can't imagine how strange that could sound to someone with no mechanical back ground! I just hope the poster will keep working with all those who have responded so far. I know that it can get confusing with different people suggesting seemingly contradictory points of view. But it's like if I was to give directions from my house to a place 20 miles away. I could take several different routes depending on how big a hurry I'm in or if it's a sunny day and that lady that like to sun bath might be out in her yard!

Yardi

Hi funwithfuel, purchased a new battery with 1185CA. Did the voltage drop test as u recommended and the results r:

Bat+ to frame = 0
Bat+ to engine block = 0
Bat+ to starter = 12.67
Bat+ to alternator = 12.64

Bat- to starter = 12.63
Bat- to alternator = 12.64

Still get the labored slow crank from the starter and no start.

Conclusion: bad starter.

The Forum's feedback is welcomed.

Delmer

We don't need the hundredths digit, but that's fine in case anybody sees a difference. You have either two or four of those readings wrong, so lets start over. Do you have working lights or a heater fan on this machine? Turn them on for the test. Find a clean bolt on the starter, or any aluminum surface on the starter, use that as your starter point, same thing on the alternator. Then see what you have from those to the + battery post. Then find the big terminal on the starter that is connected to the battery+ post, check the voltage there to the clean surface of the starter. Then get a friend to crank the starter while you record the voltage after a second. post those four readings and we'll go from there.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
is this a positive earth machine
can you check where the positive terminal on the battery connects to
if it goes to the frame or to the case of the stater it is pos ground

edgephoto

You voltage drop readings are not correct. If you actually have a 12.67v drop on your starter or alternator you have a really bad connection or corroded cable. The machine would not crank with that kind of drop. I am pretty sure you do not understand what voltage drop measurements are or how to get them.

First off you need to measure it in a operating circuit. In your case you need to make the measurements while cranking.

Yardi

No crank:
Alternator+ to Alternator case 12v
Starter+ to Starter case 12v

Cranking:
Alternator 7v
Starter fluctuates 8v to 6v

5 seconds cranking video is too large to upload.

Delmer

Now that's a good number, how about the battery terminals while cranking? if it's the same 6-8V, then you either have a weak battery, bad starter, or a load on the engine.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Now that's a good number, how about the battery terminals while cranking? if it's the same 6-8V, then you either have a weak battery, bad starter, or a load on the engine.
Possible the engine is partially seized and turning hard, something is dragging voltage at starter turning????