• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

battery problems?

foursons

Ok,

I posted a few minutes ago about a 1150 Case I was trying to get running. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. What would happen if I hooked up the batteries backwards to the tractor? Sparks at the alternator maybe and a little smoke?

Yea, I fell like an idiot. If the sparks and smoke sound like a likely backwards battery please let me know. I don't know why else I would have power at the alternator when the engine is not running.

Thanks

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Test the hot side of the starter solinoid where your postitive cable contects you should habve power there if you touch the block or bare head with the black needle and the hot side with the red needle you should have around 12v ± 24v which ever your system is and if there back wards it will be -12v ± -24v because you have it bacause you have the cables reversed hope that helps you. Make sure you have batterys wired properly if its 24volt

Last edited:

PAcattech

Occupation
CAT field service tech (31yrs)
I don't know why else I would have power at the alternator when the engine is not running.
foursons sparks and smoke are never good , you should always have battery voltage at alternator terminal even when not running

Last edited:

d9gdon

You won't have it there if you have the master switch off though, cause that kills the ground to your batteries. Just trying to make sure you don't overlook the obvious like I do sometimes.