• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bantum koehring 450 a excavator

adigger

I just bought a 450 a bantum excavator that is in a small garage .It is suppose to run although battery was dead when I bought it and do believe the man because you can see where they had to fix the wall he took out with boom. Does any one know about the controls on one of these and do the have a track dog lock like bucyrus erie does.The lower on it looks like our bucyrus 22 b and it has locks , the man said this would only move in one direction, so we thought that might be the problem.He did not put it in building his father which is no long with us did and he don't know much about it.It has 4 foot pedals and 2 travel levers and I would like to have an idea what they do before we have to put the garage back up.Thanks.

earthsculptor

I have Bantum which is little newer and hydraulic drive. If it has Detroit screamer it will start but they drip oil always. Get good light and see if you can figure out linkage for direction of travel. Sorry I don't have more info for you. Be careful, isn't worth getting hurt over.

earthsculptor

Have 2700Q and 3400Q Link Belt and wonder if anyone knows if hydraulic solenoid valves are same. There are about 8 on the hydraulic pump in a group and they lock out various hydraulic functions. When they stick you don't move that function. I would also be interested in a 2700 Q Link Belt for parts in Wisconsin.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I had a Bantam C450 some years ago so my memory is a bit rusty... On the right hand side of the cab you'll find 2 levers, I think the one further to the right is the swing brake, and the one closest to the cab is the travel lever. It engages the frictions on the left hand side of the upper structure which in turn drive the lower unit through a bevel gear set going down through the circle. It does have dogs on the lower unit and there's a lever near the floor on the left side of the cab that controls them. The up position allows them to trip in one direction, the down position the other and the middle position is both off... There's also a 2 speed lever beside it, it changes the drive speed in the gearbox over there by the frictions, though on mine the difference in speed was very hard to notice... Anyway, back to the travel lever on the right side, when you move it forward the undercarriage moves forward, and vice versa. The back of the undercarriage is the end with the drive chains, so keep that in mind when deciding which way to pull the lever and you shouldn't have to fix the shed again. To steer the beast, there are 2 steering clutch/brake levers to the left of the operator's seat, left disconnects the left track and sets the brake, and of course the right lever does the same for the right track. The two levers in the middle of the cab right at the front are for the swing and boom. The left lever operates the swing, push it and you go left, pull it and you go right. The right lever is the boom, yank to go up, push to go down. The left set of pedals is for the stick, the outer one is extend, the inner one is retract, and the set of pedals on the right is for the bucket, outer one is open, inner one is close. Then there's a lever under the seat that disconnects the entire drive mechanism and pumps from the engine, down is off and up is on. I think there's also a lever on the bellhousing of the engine to engage/disengage the pumps. Make sure there's enough hydraulic fluid in the tank, oil in the engine, coolant and you should be good to go. They're a really simple old monster. If I ever find another one I'll definitely try to get my hands on it as I loved my old one! If you have any pictures of yours we'd all love to see 'em and if you have any questions I'll do my best to help! Good luck and have fun!

Janos Starker

We can not wait to show you how to find almost anything you need with our new search results program. In fact, we designed the search box at the top of the page especially for you; because we want you to use us over and over again. We are certain you will love the helop you get from using this tiny search box for big results.
carobd2shop.com

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
Before you start the old Detroit, remove the air cleaner and have a piece of plywood handy to block off the air intake in case she tries to run away. There may be an emergency stop flapper on the bottom of the air box that will do the same thing. If so check for free movement when released and latch it open to start.

Good luck!

Rick

adigger

thanks

Thank you for you help and if it ever warms up around here we will go try to get it out of the building while leaving the buiding standing .Good luck to all and thanks again.
I had a Bantam C450 some years ago so my memory is a bit rusty... On the right hand side of the cab you'll find 2 levers, I think the one further to the right is the swing brake, and the one closest to the cab is the travel lever. It engages the frictions on the left hand side of the upper structure which in turn drive the lower unit through a bevel gear set going down through the circle. It does have dogs on the lower unit and there's a lever near the floor on the left side of the cab that controls them. The up position allows them to trip in one direction, the down position the other and the middle position is both off... There's also a 2 speed lever beside it, it changes the drive speed in the gearbox over there by the frictions, though on mine the difference in speed was very hard to notice... Anyway, back to the travel lever on the right side, when you move it forward the undercarriage moves forward, and vice versa. The back of the undercarriage is the end with the drive chains, so keep that in mind when deciding which way to pull the lever and you shouldn't have to fix the shed again. To steer the beast, there are 2 steering clutch/brake levers to the left of the operator's seat, left disconnects the left track and sets the brake, and of course the right lever does the same for the right track. The two levers in the middle of the cab right at the front are for the swing and boom. The left lever operates the swing, push it and you go left, pull it and you go right. The right lever is the boom, yank to go up, push to go down. The left set of pedals is for the stick, the outer one is extend, the inner one is retract, and the set of pedals on the right is for the bucket, outer one is open, inner one is close. Then there's a lever under the seat that disconnects the entire drive mechanism and pumps from the engine, down is off and up is on. I think there's also a lever on the bellhousing of the engine to engage/disengage the pumps. Make sure there's enough hydraulic fluid in the tank, oil in the engine, coolant and you should be good to go. They're a really simple old monster. If I ever find another one I'll definitely try to get my hands on it as I loved my old one! If you have any pictures of yours we'd all love to see 'em and if you have any questions I'll do my best to help! Good luck and have fun!

adigger

Well it warmed up enough last week that we got it started and brought it home,thanks for the help on what levers and pedals do what.We even managed to leave the building it was in complete intact.My son was running it and says it sure is different from todays excavators so I believe it is going up for sale before we do something crazy like trying to load a truck with it.Thank you all.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Well it warmed up enough last week that we got it started and brought it home,thanks for the help on what levers and pedals do what.We even managed to leave the building it was in complete intact.My son was running it and says it sure is different from todays excavators so I believe it is going up for sale before we do something crazy like trying to load a truck with it.Thank you all.

I'm glad to hear you got it out of the shed in one piece! Of course you realize we need to see pictures! If you were closer I'd buy it from you. Having said that, and please don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure why you'd sell it just because it's different from today's machines... They're very robust and simple machines to maintain, parts are available and not too terribly expensive as far as I know, as all the pumps are Commercial Shearing, as is the drive mechanism motor and the valves, and there are millions of Detroit Diesel engines out there... If it works well and there are no major issues, I would keep it, but then again that's just me, I have a very big soft spot for old equipment...