• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

banjo bolt??

eianewb

i have read on several posts here about machines losing power and several replys are about a banjo bolt somewheres in the fuel line with a filter in it. i am just wondering what one of these little thingys looks like, does anyone have a pic of one?

my ex did the same thing these guys have asked about, the whole losing power thing, about twice. sure seems to be a common problem, even across different brandnames.

thought it'd be a good thing to find on my machine before it become a real problem.

thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Don't have a pic of one, but here's some example pics from a website. It shows various bolt fittings and a few "banjo's". If your machine has them, you'll see them at the fuel filter housing connections, maybe at the lift pump, places like that. Some, not all, machines that use the fittings have a plastic strainer inside the hole of the bolt, usually at the supply line connection at the primary fuel filter.

http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2782

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I thought I had a better picture but here is what I do have on hand at the moment, this particular application has two fittings on one bolt, or in this case a hollow stud with a nut on the top, but same idea. I can go and get some better pictures tomorrow if nobody else has any...
Hope it helps somewhat...

Attachments

• banjofittings.jpg
    banjofittings.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 716

swampdog

The banjo bolt fitting on my Hitachi has a small brass mesh screen inside it. On that machine (Hino engine), the banjo bolt is a fitting in the fuel line near the injection pump. It has a bolt type fitting on each end of the banjo bolt. One end has the screen, while the other does not.

Cleaning that screen restored the power on the Hitachi after the machine lost power and stalled a few times. It was blocked by rusty crud. An easy five minute fix.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
My question is how does the rusty crud get through multiple fuel filters? Seems pretty common.

-3Doc

Occupation
Ticketed HD Mechanic
The banjo bolt is usually the first in line and filters are after that. It is the first line of defense!! On Hitachi machines you can usually tell which one it is as the head of the bolt is thicker and it has a small arrow on one of the flats.:canada

-3Doc

Occupation
Ticketed HD Mechanic
Here is the bolt that everyone is describing, this little bugger has made me lotsa money!!:)

Attachments

• DSCF0054.jpg
    DSCF0054.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 660
  • DSCF0055.jpg
    DSCF0055.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 676

brian falcone

2 years ago we installed a brand new cat 312 engine [ not sure of the model number ] in a 1992 e120b. ran great for 2 years but now it idles fine but as soon as you hit the throttle it stalls.....does the 312 have a banjo bolt? we changed the lines anf filters but never thought to look for the bolt??????

-3Doc

Occupation
Ticketed HD Mechanic
:canadaI'm sure it does I had one plugged on a cat 320 just last week.That one was on the bottom of the lift pump inlet side, a little hard to get at and you get fuel in your armpit, but it was plugged!

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Our Komatsu 380 wheel loader was losing power yesterday and it actually cut out a couple of times. The fuel filter was clean, the fuel line from the tank didn't look like it could be sucking air and I had this thread in the back of my mind. I undid the first banjo bolt in the fuel line and sure enough, it was totally blocked with crap and it didn't even have a screen in it. Obviously the previous owners were not that fussy about keeping their fuel clean.

Rn'R.

swampdog

never liked banjoes but i like swampdog's jeep

GOD drove a JEEP

Paid $100 for that '72 Jeep. Originally a US military vehicle, it was laying on a garbage pile, came without wheels, and had not run for about 15 years. It became a winter project. Have you ever had a vehicle that needed replacement of virtually all wiring and every bearing and seal? Not to mention the countless rust areas that needed chopping and welding in of new metal.

Thanks to a patient wife and thousands of dollars in parts, it lives again. Lockers front and back, a home made lift, Interco Boggers, and winch mounts front and back help it along.

Regarding banjos, Alison Krauss and her boys sure play great!

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
hyg

Attachments

• EX.jpg
    EX.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 484
  • ZAxis.jpg
    ZAxis.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 437
  • valves.jpg