• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bale chopper / mulcher questions

atgreene

Anyone have bale choppers?

I had been looking for one for years, just couldn't justify the $$$. I spread a few hundred bales per year and was really getting tired of it until I saw a Pro-Chopper sitting beside the road for $750. with a trailer. New motor, 1 new bearing, new belt, needless to say, I jumped on it.

Just curious what everyone else is using, where is a good place to buy the 6" hose or what are you guys using for hose? The book says up to 33' of hose can be used, but the guy I got it from said that Pro-chopper is very pricey on hose.

Also, I'm thinking of selling the snowmobile trailer that came with it and designing a narrower trailer for it or using it as a skid unit to go on the tractor forks or in the back of the truck. Just curious what has worked well for everyone else.

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
I believe there is a FINN bale chopper distributor in your area in Maine. I will check my parts book and get back to you on the hose. We use a metal chute more often than the hose. But our work is generally more for erosion control as compared to finish lawn work.
Dist3 Local 3918 IAFF

atgreene

Thanks joispoi & dist 3. We can't do any work near the lakes here without covering it with hay. Technically any disturbed soil on a jobsite has to be mulched at the end of each day, although it is seldom an issue as long as you do the other BMP's to prevent erosion. I do a fair amount of work for the local water district and their big push is on erosion control. Having a bale chopper puts me way ahead of the curve on keeping the jobsite erosion proof.

I'll ask a buddy of mine about the suction hose, that may be an avenue to look at. I have emailed Prochopper to see what it will cost. The previous owner was using 6" black abs drain pipe, but it's only 12' long or so and the ridges cause a signifigant loss of air force.

DigDug

Atgreene- I bought a hose for our bale chopper a couple of years ago. Went to portland rubber on Commercial st. I bought 30'?? of hose and the guy said "before i cut it do you want the price" . I thought to myself "jeez do i look that broke?" I said , "no i got to have it." Well I got to the counter and it was almost $500. I never thought it would be more than $100.
Since then i have seen people using 6" black drain tile and other things besides the rubber hose that comes on them. Anyways make sure you tie the hose up good when commuting to and from jobs , or your 30' hose will drag on the road and be 20' in a hurry. Good luck , doug

atgreene

Atgreene- I bought a hose for our bale chopper a couple of years ago. Went to portland rubber on Commercial st. I bought 30'?? of hose and the guy said "before i cut it do you want the price" . I thought to myself "jeez do i look that broke?" I said , "no i got to have it." Well I got to the counter and it was almost $500. I never thought it would be more than $100.
Since then i have seen people using 6" black drain tile and other things besides the rubber hose that comes on them. Anyways make sure you tie the hose up good when commuting to and from jobs , or your 30' hose will drag on the road and be 20' in a hurry. Good luck , doug

HS Batman! $500.00! HS! They said it was expensive, but HS! I will see what Prochopper says then maybe the black drain hose may have to work. Wouldn't have thought it would have been that much. Ever tried necking it down to 5"? One guy I talked to said it would work better, but I have my doubts.

DigDug

I havent tried 5" it might work. I do know that once in a while if you are asleep on the hose the 6" will plug with hay.

rino1494

We have a Goosen bale chopper with a 18hp honda motor. We got a 6" hose 30' long and it was $500. It has some small holes in it from getting drug around on the ground, so we just duct taped them up. BTW, those hoses are heavy. I have seen a couple guys use 6" black corrugated pipe for a hose.

We made up a skid and bolted it to that so we can move it around with a set of forks. We set it on our trailer and move it around with the pick-up. Works good, but some times it is tough getting around tight places with the trailer. Ideally it would be nice to have it mounted on a flatbed pick up. We are thinking about buying and old army 6wd truck to put it on.

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
I believe the parts list I have at the yard is $500.00 from Finn.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a Kincade mulcher and it works pretty good. It's quite the labor savings. http://www.kincaidequipment.com/strawblower.html

My unit is an older one with the flexible hose, instead of the metal chute. Notice they say the have "improved" it over the previous design and they needed to.:rolleyes:

You might want to try the smooth wall inside ADS black plastic pipe. I saw some 4" on a job the other day and I didn't know they made it. It may be too ridgid though. The pipe I saw had ridges on the outside but smooth on the inside, should help with the velocity.

BTW - duct tape works pretty good to get your hose back running.:D

muddobber

Occupation
welder,machinist,mechanic, underground coal mines
Here is my bale chopper maybe to large for the small jobs. Works great on large yards. We do yards and such with large round bales of straw saves money. Works to feed the animals hay too.

Attachments

• 000_0754.jpg
    000_0754.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,801

Alan

Charter Member
Alan, I've got a piece of that hose here, I think it's 6" and it must be 10' long or so. Seems like a piece of stovepipe and a hand crimper would make an internal coupling. I'll check tomorrow on the diameter and length, if it's anything you can use it's yours. We'll just have to finger out a way to get it to you.

atgreene

I sent a note to pro-chopper and got this reply:

Alan,
In response to your email.... we carry all parts in stock and can ship the same day. The main drive timing belt is a gates belt and the number on that belt is 390H150. You may be able to find one somewhere local but if not I have them. The seeder is still available and the cost for that is $490.00. I do carry the discharge hose however since it is so large I would have to ship that via truck line so it would cost you about $300 to have it shipped. I'm sure you can find that locally though. It is simply 6" diameter non-perforated field tile. We buy it from an electric and plumbing supply company. But if you can't find it I will be glad to ship you one. The cost for the hose with the handles is $95.91 + shipping.
Feel free to call us if you have questions!
Thanks!

Sounds like the hose is $95.91 but shipping is $300.00! Am I reading that right?

Thanks Alan, but it looks like the a 6" drain pipe will work fine for the money. I'll call and order a 100' roll this week and cut off what I need.

I spent 5 hours today power raking an acre of field in front of my house in prep for seeding for hay. I may have to mulch some of it as it has been pretty dry here, so a longer hose will be a must.