• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BAD miss, may have major trouble! 1967 580ck. Roughest backhoe in captivity.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
:lmao - I'm sorry I ever helped you - condolences to your wife (until the "Lascassas Tea/Scrap Party" begins) - :lmao

Tinkerer

I still wanna be your neighbor Packratc! I am thinking Packratc is your real name :) There is a Mrs. Packratc right ? I really think your true calling in life was to be an author. This thread just keeps getting better and better.:D

packratc

Mrs. Packratc is a farm girl who is bugging me that I have yet to turn her garden. It's just too wet. She keeps chickens and this weekend got 25 new babies that are now about 5 weks old, moved into the big girl's chicken coop. They're isolated of course from the 50 or so others that are layers. Some of them are too old and will soon have to move into the old girl's coop, the freezer. Harvest Day, the waifting aroma of chicken feathers freshly dunked into almost-scalding water on the South lawn. We often send out invitations but are usually disappointed by the turn out. Ugliest backhoe in captivity got about 4 hours of use yesterday at about half to two-thirds speed. Has good power, very little smoke and oil as clean as it can be. Think I have a small oil leak at the valve cover gasket. I used the old one because it was rubber which I prefer over cork when you're going to take them on & off several times to adjust the valves.
Ambient temperature here was in the 50's yesterday. Oil pressure never got below 45 lbs and water temperature, with a now full radiator never got above 160.
Packratc

packratc

Have to report a small screw up & the results. Been working old hoe several hours almost every day. Chico has been the operator and he ran it out of fuel. We were both suprised. It would start with fuel added but wouldn't keep running. Next morning went to town & got two new fuel filters. There was quite a bit of water in it & the lower filter was plugged. It would let fuel through slowly. Engine now has maybe 12 to 15 hours on it. Oil level is still at mark. Temp. runs less than 160 & it starts at 60 lbs of oil pressure. Changed the filters & bled injector #1. It started & ran great without bleeding anything else. I guess that's because it's now a healthy engine. Lesson learned: Always replace fuel filters when you run out of fuel in an old machine. There's bound to be crap in the tank. Will probably start to let fuel out of the sump in the bottom of the tank every other day or so. Maybe that'll take care of the water. It'll now do quite a bit of work for only a 48 HP machine. I owe you all for your help. Thanks, Packratc

diver

Occupation
retired
Real nice write up. This will hep me immensely with my ol 430 case 188 head gasket change..