• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe will not move

Russell James

I have a case 580k backhoe and it will not move forward nor reverse. When moving the shuttle shift the shaft spins but still no movement.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @Russell James
The 4 speed is engaged? ..... many have been caught before......
Can you confirm either your machine serial number or tell us where the 4 speed gearshift lever is located - floor or console?
There is a transmission change in the 580K series which makes a big difference to giving useful diagnostic assistance.

Russell James

Welcome to HEF @Russell James
The 4 speed is engaged? ..... many have been caught before......
Can you confirm either your machine serial number or tell us where the 4 speed gearshift lever is located - floor or console?
There is a transmission change in the 580K series which makes a big difference to giving useful diagnostic assistance.
The is engaged and the gear shift is on the console. Serial # JJG0020007.

alrman

Occupation
OK,
When you say the driveshaft is spinning - is that that with considerable speed?
Can you hear each transmission cut out switch clicking properly? (at loader & gearshift levers)

Is it a 4wd? If you engage 4wd will it drive?

Russell James

OK,
When you say the driveshaft is spinning - is that that with considerable speed?
Can you hear each transmission cut out switch clicking properly? (at loader & gearshift levers)

Is it a 4wd? If you engage 4wd will it drive?
It's 2wd . When I engage to 1,2,3 or 4th gear the backhoe want move forward nor reverse. The driveshift does spin while running and speeds up while being towed. I had the valve repacked that's located beneath the seat (connected to shuttle shift) but still nothing.

alrman

Occupation
When I asked if the driveshaft spins with considerable speed, I meant as it is simply while the engine is running & fwd or rev is engaged.
Again, do the transmission cut-out switches located on the gearshift & loader control levers, 'click' audibly?
Do they make a difference to the driveshaft operation when pressed?

Raise the rear wheels off the ground, turn off the engine & rotate the rear wheels by hand - both sides should have resistance.

Russell James

Driveshaft does spin with considerable speed and the switch clicks when I engage it but nothing happens. When the tires are off the ground it have resistance.

alrman

Occupation
Hmmm,
Let's go back to the beginning.
Did the machine suddenly stop driving?
Was it driving then stopped for a while & not drive?
Has it been taking longer to engage drive over a period of time & now no longer does?
Who "repacked" the transmission control valve? Dealer? Someone with a background in transmission repairs?
Do you have the tools & ability to carry out any pressure tests?

Russell James

Hmmm,
Let's go back to the beginning.
Did the machine suddenly stop driving?
Was it driving then stopped for a while & not drive?
Has it been taking longer to engage drive over a period of time & now no longer does?
Who "repacked" the transmission control valve? Dealer? Someone with a background in transmission repairs?
Do you have the tools & ability to carry out any pressure tests?
While driving on the road I came to a stop sign, shift the shuttle to neutral and then put the machine in 2nd gear . When I shift the shuttle back to forward it felt like something came lose in it and would not move. I checked to see if something came lose on the shuttle shift but did not see anything . I noticed the shuttle shift rod hooked into the valve so I had Professional Hydraulics (Hydraulic Company) repack it hoping to fix the problem. In the past their have been times that I had to pull the shuttle a little more forward or reverse to engage.

Russell James

While driving on the road I came to a stop sign, shift the shuttle to neutral and then put the machine in 2nd gear . When I shift the shuttle back to forward it felt like something came lose in it and would not move. I checked to see if something came lose on the shuttle shift but did not see anything . I noticed the shuttle shift rod hooked into the valve so I had Professional Hydraulics (Hydraulic Company) repack it hoping to fix the problem. In the past their have been times that I had to pull the shuttle a little more forward or reverse to engage.
I have a mechanic coming bye this week to pull a pressure test.

alrman

Occupation
When you shifted the shuttle lever into forward & something came loose - was that feeling in the lever or the drive?
Does the FNR lever feel normal again now?
There are only 4 x bolts that hold the transaxle to the chassis are they still in place? Any marks to show they maybe loose & the transaxle has moved?
@Bls repair has suggested checking the driveshaft yoke at the transaxle, could it be stripped?

Russell James

When you shifted the shuttle lever into forward & something came loose - was that feeling in the lever or the drive?
Does the FNR lever feel normal again now?
There are only 4 x bolts that hold the transaxle to the chassis are they still in place? Any marks to show they maybe loose & the transaxle has moved?
@Bls repair has suggested checking the driveshaft yoke at the transaxle, could it be stripped?
After having the valve repacked it still feels like something is loose ( abnormal). I will check the to be sure the transaxle has not moved tomorrow and make sure the yoke isn't stripped. Thanks.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I assume that the shuttle control rod is still attached to trans control valve. The early control valves had a shuttle valve that would come apart and lock shift spool in neutral. Worst case some of the early machines had a problem with ring gear bolt breaking also. Have you tried pushing the diff. lock pedal down to see if it would move then.

Dave Neubert

If the drive shaft rotates when you put the shuttle in gear it has to be in the trans axle striped splines on the yoke would be a good bet. if that is not it wile you have the shaft off put the transaxle in gear and see if you can spin the transaxle input freely or does it get tight and try to move the rear wheels an d try to engage positraction and see if it moves. If it had a broke axle it would drive with posi engaged