• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe tires

mbavers

Case 580SK, 12 ply rating, 19.5L 24 rear tires. Bought rear tires new some years ago. YKS, made in Thailand. Outer rubber started cracking around the second or third year. Not heavily used. I originally aired them according to the manual, which states 24 psi. I just found another place in the manual that states 8 pr:20psi, 10 pr:24 psi. Since mine are 12PR I increased pressure to 28psi. I cannot find recommended pressure info anywhere on the tire, and cannot find the tire on any website. Does 28psi seem reasonable? Also, could low pressure have contributed to the cracking?
DSC02110a.JPG DSC02113a.JPG

mbavers

Yep, just Asian rubber, nothing you can do about it except buy better tires.
Was going to buy new, but the ones I wanted are $950 each, and I was buying them more for the tread, which would have kept chains on the lugs, instead of falling between the lugs like on the current tires. Since these hold air just fine I'll stick with them for now.

cosmaar1

Was going to buy new, but the ones I wanted are $950 each, and I was buying them more for the tread, which would have kept chains on the lugs, instead of falling between the lugs like on the current tires. Since these hold air just fine I'll stick with them for now.

If you are that worried, throw some tubes in there and call it a day. I wouldn’t buy new tires unless I had to.

mbavers

If you are that worried, throw some tubes in there and call it a day. I wouldn’t buy new tires unless I had to.

The main reason for new tires was for a tread with lugs that run at about a 45° angle to the plane of rotation and would thereby support chains in the winter, without the chains falling between the lugs.380259-2.jpg