• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe thumb project

Rick2386

Thumb

I've been lusting for a backhoe thumb for years and finally decided to build one. I drew the plan up in autocad using a compilation of designs from different thumbs I've seen. When I get time I'm working on converting the 3D image to working and dimensioned drawings if anyone would like to build one similar to this one. I used heavy wall seamless tubing for the bushings and 2" CRS for the pins. Since I don't have a line bore and this is a budget project, I turned the pins for a .015 clearance. All the tines and support structure is 1/2" plate. I tacked it together with a MIG welder and welded the assembly with 5/32 7018. Photos show construction up to mounting on the dipperstick, I got busy and just had time to sandblast and need to paint it.

My .pdf 3D drawing file was over 100kb. If anyone would like a copy I can email it to them.

Hi, I really like the thumb you designed, I just bought a JD 310sg extend and would like to make one for it.
Could you please send me the plans, rick2386@gmail.com
I really appreciated it.

CME1966

Hi I was wondering if I could have a copy of your plans for backhoe thumb
I've been lusting for a backhoe thumb for years and finally decided to build one. I drew the plan up in autocad using a compilation of designs from different thumbs I've seen. When I get time I'm working on converting the 3D image to working and dimensioned drawings if anyone would like to build one similar to this one. I used heavy wall seamless tubing for the bushings and 2" CRS for the pins. Since I don't have a line bore and this is a budget project, I turned the pins for a .015 clearance. All the tines and support structure is 1/2" plate. I tacked it together with a MIG welder and welded the assembly with 5/32 7018. Photos show construction up to mounting on the dipperstick, I got busy and just had time to sandblast and need to paint it.

My .pdf 3D drawing file was over 100kb. If anyone would like a copy I can email it to them.

CME1966

Hi I was wondering if I could have a copy of your plans for backhoe thumb , would be much appreciated, thank you cmecontracting1@gmail.com,

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Dig Texas, looks like you need to be in the thumb making business.

f.sava

Not to just jump on the bandwagon, but is there anyway someone could send me a copy of these plans please?

Thanks.