• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe or Excavator

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Hello All,

I want to purchase both a backhoe and a 18k-19k excavator for my property in north east PA. The question is, which should I purchase first. I have many tasks to complete, but first off I want to create a pad for a pole building which will take many tiraxe loads of stone to be moved and leveled. Another task is the moving of many many yards of dirt to build up a low spot on my property, next my house. I have many other projects planned in the future that include opening a nice wide trail (roadway) around the perimeter of my property, which is wooded. Because the property has many very large rocks that are to be moved for all tasks, the ability to move heavy rocks is a must. All the above being stated, which should i purchase first, a TLB or an Midi excavator? I am by no means an expert operator, but I do currently have a New Holland TC33 with a loader and a backhoe. This is a compact tractor and it does not have the ability to move the rocks that are all around my property, nor can it move triaxles of stone quickly. All the above being stated, I am leaning towards the backhoe first, and later on, the excavator. How do you all feel?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
DW,
Thanks for the reply. I have 43 acres and all but like 5 acres are woods. The type of ground, large rocks randomly placed, is one of the reasons I was thinking a tracked vehicle would be better than a backhoe.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
MD,
Thanks for the reply and link. The difference between my situation and the one in the video is, i am not looking to clear my land. In fact, i only want to clear a trail or road on the perimeter. The rest will be left wild. I do have a pond that I will need to rework in the future as the back wall has failed and it does not keep the water level where it should be even tho it is spring fed, but that is a project for 4 to 5 years from now (when i am retired).

JWeir

I have a Case 580k and have 14 acres of heavily wooded land in Maine. Lots of VW bug sized rocks. When I cut our road, dug foundation and septic system, I used a friend's 220 excavator with a mechanical thumb. I could not have come close to stumping and moving rocks with the 580k. Not having the loader was a little slower with the excavator at times, but the large bucket was close. Maybe rent one for a few weeks or buy one and resell when done. Backhoe is a great for smaller projects, and great for maintenance. Just my thoughts.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Bobcat...I wish! Seriously though, I do intend on both, just trying to figure out which is first for the tasks that I have to do.

JWeir...Thanks for the response. I just looked up the specs for your case. It says that it will lift ~5500# to full height. With that capacity, are you at least able to push some of the large rocks out of the way? I dont think I necessarily need to lift them off the ground, just move them out of the way of my trail/road around the perimeter. I do this with my current CUT that has a loader on the front with some of the smaller rocks that it will not lift (it only lifts ~900#). I hear you on the rental, but I really want to have an excavator that i can use any time I need, not just for a week. As far as buying and selling, I am better at buying than selling :)

Welder Dave

If you have lots of rocks that are thousands of pounds each I don't think I'd be using a rubber tire backhoe to move them.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Welder Dave,

I do understand what you are saying. The trail/road is not the priority in the next 2 years. First I want to put up a nice garage to keep my toys in. For this task, I will be mostly leveling an area that has already been previously cleared, and adding a bunch of stone. The other task that i want to complete in the next year or two is to move a bunch of dirt. I have some low spots around the house and want to fill them in. The dirt will be dug from a couple of mounds that are on the property, both of which already have good access, when it is not raining (turns to a swamp).

For the trail/road, I would use an excavator. Do you think an 18k-19k excavator would be up to that task? I really dont want a large excavator if I dont need one. Keep in mind, this is on my property and there isn't any rush.

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
From me reading that, you answered you own question. Sounds like the backhoe first would work best for your timeline. You might consider just hiring a machine and operator for the excavator work. Ask around, it may be cheaper than you think. You could assist him and speed the job with the your backhoe. Having your own machine is nice, but with ownership, the expense and maintenance are all on you.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Yes, highwayghost, the more toys we have the more work and expense we have...I kinda feel it is worth it tho for the work one can get done. I find myself using my little CUT for everything. I couldnt manage without it for my lifting and moving chores as well as the loader and backhoe chores. I will be the one doing the maintenance though, so I will save a little there.

Might be a good idea to hire out for the trail/road work if a 18k-19k excavator cant handle it. I think welder dave was spot on with his concerns for wheeled vehicles over tracked vehicle.

JWeir

I think highwayghost nailed it. For spreading the stone bed for the pole barn, moving dirt, etc the backhoe should be fine. If you are ín no rush the back home might do your road...with patience. The 44k excavator I used was awesome and made quick work of my stumps, rocks, etc. The Case 580k has done a lot of finish work and some stump work. Difference is hours instead of 15-20 minutes and knowing your limitations. You could start there and work up.

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
I hired out for some excavator work recently and was happy I did. The bigger the machine the easier and faster the work will go. Probably knock it out in a few days. Most of those guys would also have a small dozer that would be great for road building. I understand the expense of hiring out/renting but it fast forwards the job and frees you up for other stuff. Afterwards, when it was done and paid for, I felt it was well worth it! :cool:

Welder Dave

What about a skid steer for the leveling and spreading for the pole shed? A skid steer will be a lot easier for getting a pad level.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Welder Dave,
I thought about a skidsteer, but it would not be able to do the trenching and other dirt work that i need to do. I also thought about using the blade on a midi excavator to level the pad and stones. Hence, the fact that I am unsure which piece of equipment to purchase first.

Metalman 55

I would vote for the rubber tired backhoe first & go from there. As for rocks, if they fit in the front bucket on say a 580SM size, you can pick up an carry about 2tons of weight (maybe a bit more) on even terrain, just to give you an idea. The other big advantage is how easy it is to get around & the wider variety of work they will accomplish. I have owned a couple of 580's over the last 20 or so years.

doublewide

1) TLB
2) Dump truck
3) Trailer
4) Excavator

And remember, an 18k # tracked machine is gonna tear the sh!t out of your property. You don't want to be crawling that thing all over your 40 acres.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Metalman,
I have not considered a case 580sm. Not because I am opposed to case, but I know for sure that there is a Deere and New Holland dealer close to my place. I have been contemplating a JD 310sg or 410e and a NH B95 or LB110. They seem to have comparable specs to the case you suggested. At this point, I really dont have any particular brand loyalty. I do notice that the New Holland's seem to be a bit cheaper than the Deere's.

doublewide,
I have a mason dump on my Ram3500 that I will use to move the dirt. As for a trailer, I do not see myself moving the equipment off my property, so I dont think that is in the future. If it becomes necessary to move the equipment, I will have to hire that out. This equipment is not for a business, but rather just for me.

I do understand that the tracks will leave a mark :). I was thinking rubber tracks to kinda cut down a bit on the mess, and save my back a bit too.