• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

backhoe operators in the patch

reaper020

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Reaper, congrats on the new arrival. love her all you can, she'll be grown in a day or two.
I supervise for a major oilfield construction co. WWW.tkstanley.com and we have probably 250 operators making 20 to 30 hrs a week just piddleing. watch the rig counts, when they go up, work will start again.
p.s. hows the healthcare up there?

health care for the most part is pretty good its nice to now its there when you need it.

reaper020

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
thanks all for the congrats on my little one. our first son turns two next month seems like it was only a few months ago when he was born man do they grow up fast. Atleast my daughter is sleeping alot for now was not looking forward to all the sleeplessnites like my son waking up every 2 hours.
does anyone no a good site in bc or ab where they list rig starts. i no its in the local papers up there but not sure where to find it on the web?

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Oilfield work is different digging but not always the easiest. You don't always have traffic, telephone, cable, you know, like digging in a harp that some urban operators deal with. However there are times around surface plants and so on where it's tricky digging with all kinds of stuff hidden. That's why almost all operators have ground disturbance certificates.

Secondly the terrain can vary dramatically. One day it can be flat with nothing but clay, the next day muskeg lord knows how deep where you are carrying your mats with you as you go, corked up and making damn sure you stay on them. Depths can be a whole lot deeper than 2-3 feet.

The lifestyle is not for everyone. Not home very much, long hours and you know how the devil makes work for idle hands at night ;). Money is excellent though and the government loves you!

I'm not contradicting you heavy lift. I'm saying the work is different and whether it is sewer and water, streets and parking lots, basements or pipeline they all have challenges as well as rewards. Pipeline work is way better for those of us with ADD as we are always on the move! As one guy told me "I'd rather get driven back to my truck at the end of the day than walk to it".