• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

backhoe novice with a few questions

sqdqo

Considering a used backhoe and have a few questions. Is a 4 in 1 bucket worth it or are they maintenance problems. Do these buckets do everything a std bucket does and just as well? I don't know that I would need an extendable hoe, are they maintenance problems? I am considering a 580K vintage, are there other brands of similar vintage worth considering?

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
If you were goin to do alot of street work a 4n'1 is worth every penny, site work not so much. After having one for the past 2 plus years I wouldnt want to go with out it. It does add more weight to the machine and over time alota of 4n'1 start to bow. Need to be some what careful on how you use it.

I wouldnt buy a machine without extendahoe no matter what you plan on using it for. Very rare to see machines with out now.

DGODGR

My last two backhoes had 4-n-1 buckets on them. Before I had them I used to wonder why anyone would need them. Now, I won't buy a TLB without one. I don't do much work in the street anymore and I still find it invaluable. It has been over 20 years since the last time I ran a 'hoe without an extendable dipper. It too is on the "must have" list.

DGODGR

I forgot to mention. IMO the extra weight of the 4-n-1 will make the 'hoe a much better balanced machine. The extra maintanence required for the 4-n-1 and the extendahoe has been practically nile. My Cat 416C has over 12,000 hours on it (I have owned it since it was new) and I replaced the bottom portion (the "clam shell") at around 10,500 hours. It had a little bit of a bow in it (they can bow even at low hours if you are not careful) but I replaced it because I finally wore through the bottom skin on it. It was cheaper to replace than repair correctly.

danregan

Occupation
Contractor
If you were goin to do alot of street work a 4n'1 is worth every penny, site work not so much. After having one for the past 2 plus years I wouldnt want to go with out it. It does add more weight to the machine and over time alota of 4n'1 start to bow. Need to be some what careful on how you use it.

I wouldnt buy a machine without extendahoe no matter what you plan on using it for. Very rare to see machines with out now.

If I could go back in time, Id buy 4 580Ks. Or at least listen to Jim about the 420D.... 580K is a great machine. Im a pretty big proponent of the 4 in 1 bucket, if you dont care for it,you can take it off. Youll already be plumbed for a power angle plow. We had to change the hoses on our extendahoe at about 4K hours, no other maint on it.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Considering a used backhoe and have a few questions. Is a 4 in 1 bucket worth it or are they maintenance problems. Do these buckets do everything a std bucket does and just as well? I don't know that I would need an extendable hoe, are they maintenance problems? I am considering a 580K vintage, are there other brands of similar vintage worth considering?

Never had a 4in 1,always had an E-hoe.Depends on your needs,you will ultimately have to decide.As far as other brands and again what your needs are,but I'm a Deere man, so I will tell you look at 310 and 410B's,C's ,and D's if you want to stay in the 14' -15' hoe class.If you want just speed,get the Case.If you want decent speed and more power,get the Deere.

NHGus

Occupation
Fabricator/welder
I'm pretty new to TLBs, I bought an 87 580K last summer and have been very happy with it. Get every option/feature you can on a machine, the more a machine has, like a thumb, extenda-hoe, 4 in 1 bucket, multiple digging buckets, etc. the more versatile it is. Maintenance, with regard to the extenda-hoe or the entire machine for that matter is fairly easy, keep everything well lubed, clean, follow the service/owners manual maintenance schedule and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

davidd

Occupation
www.paulowniatrees.com
I have a JD 310c with a 4in 1 bucket. I would trade it to someone for a straight bucket. I do lots of land clearing with the machine and seldom use the clam feature.
It has an extenda hoe and semi mechanical thumb. These are really an asset. Thumbs are not so available on used machines but are really a good goodie. And the 4x4 is really useful when pushing or loading the bucket.
By the way those bowed clams can be staightened with heavy chain and jacks. Do not use heat.