• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe loading - no dovetail??

rutwad

Tandem duals. Much easier on tires and axles when turning or backing. And I have been in some very tight places with a dual tandem trailer. I would guess the tri axle would take more area to turn around. Fuel savings? That would probably be so close you would never know. And yes, spend the extra money for the dovetail, beavertail (the sloped rear). You may find many more uses for your trailer that may not load as easily as a backhoe. Besides, when you look back 25 years from now you won't even miss the couple extra thousand you have to spend now.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
I don't know if you've bought yet, but I use a 30' GN. 25' flat, with a 5' dovetail (what they're called down here) with 5' ramps. If I'm not careful, the same thing happens with my 420D like ghwhammy said above- backhoe does a wheelie. Not too cool. I've not found the answer, because I don't usually want to have a bucket full of material for ballast. So- just FYI. And I have to set the rear boom down low for height clearance, so backing on not really a solution like it is with a skid steer.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
For what it is worth- if you really want a single, you can do a 10K axles, with a single wheel/tire. We do it on horse trailers regularly. Much lower rolling resistance than duals. But unless I'm doing a bunch of miles, I prefer the duals. Cheaper too, and more rubber on the road while braking.

KevinF

Occupation
Engineer
This is a good indication of how patient I am (read:too many projects, not enough time).

I bought a trailer yesterday. I went with a 30ft tandem dual. Tandem dual because I don't like the scrubbing of the tridems, how they switch pivot tires etc. I really wanted oil bath axles because I'm sick of the mini crap bearings on my 10,000 lb GVWR wannabe 'equipment trailer' which is really just a car hauler.

Anyway the trailer came with the slip tank, pump, chains, boomers, ratchet straps, was 5-10 years newer and still cheaper than anything else I had seen within 400 miles, so I had to snap it up. It is a 30ft (deck + beaver tail) Gatormade. Has the torque tube, fairly low profile.

Pictured is my 98 3/4 ton with a semi-float 14 bolt and a 5.3, 4l80e in it. My big block truck with the 14b ff and my friends 7.3 dually will be the main tow rigs used with the trailer. Also.. I think the slip tank is empty (or mostly empty) and the helper bags are showing 40 lbs..

I'm not sure what the unloaded weight on it is.

IMG_6552.jpgIMG_6553.jpg

Last edited: