• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

backhoe grease questions

north1

First time purchase of a loader backhoe, specifically a case 590 sm series 2. Have used viscosity oil-case ih 251h ep nlgi no.2 lithium soap extreme pressure grease in all my agricultural equipment in the past. This was due to my father and his reluctance on having multiple grease guns with different types of grease. I have put my foot down and want to at least have another type of grease for pins and bushings. My problem is I have several pieces of equipment I have already used this grease in and don't want to run into compatibility issues.

So I will keep using the viscosity oil grease for roller/Timken bearings, and a 5% moly based grease for heavily loaded pins and bushings. Question is what will be compatible in the equipment I have already used the lithium grease in? Also, what brand of grease would be high quality but readily available. I use some Mobil oil products so have a good relationship with the Mobil rep, but wanted to get an unbiased opinion here.

Delmer

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/882/mixing-greases

You're right to use a moly grease. Moly is an additive though, not the base. The base might be calcium or aluminum which don't go with lithium. But for pins and bushings, I would just pump till you see the new grease, and then be religious about greasing everyday until you see the new grease.

I suspect incompatible grease is partly responsible for plugged zerks or grease passages.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I would add that in my opinion greasing is best when done at end of work that way you flush out any dirt that gets in during the day. Also in cold weather which I'm sure you have plenty of up there grease flows better when things are warn from working. Also if working in wet and sloppy stuff even if you only run machine for a few minutes grease the points exposed to the slop, again to flush out the dirt before it hardens. Wish I could convince people about that where I work on the skid steers they run in knee deep slop in the quarry! Just got an estimate of over $3,000 dollars to repair pins and bushings in the bucket end of boom of a JCB! How many days of five minutes greasing could you pay for for $3,000? And that does not count time to remove and re-install the boom!

north1

So, viscosity oil makes 251h ep-m grease which is a molybdenum disulfide grease that has the same mineral oil stock as their lithium grease I use. Seems that this would be compatible, but would it be sufficient for backhoe pins and bushings as well as my ag tractors? States that it is formulated for heavy construction equipment and king pins and heavily loaded appications.

Yes, since I was young I was taught to grease at the end of the day when bearings and pins were hot/warm. This allows you to flush out contaminants as well as have the bearings take grease better with less chance of blowing out seals. Also allows you to catch problem bearings or other needed repairs by smelling a hot bearing and be able to fix or get parts before the next day. Really saves time and aggravation in the long run.