• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe Choice

Snatch

Occupation
Civil Engineer/ Contractor
I am a civil engineer and have just started a very small engineering and construction company. I am thinking about purchasing a used backhoe for general minor earthworks and hereby seeking advice on a brand.

What type would a suggested brand (JCB, John Deere, Case, Cat, N.H) given that I live on an island in the Caribbean that with no dealers. The most popular brands on island are Case and JCB. As a first timer with very limited budget, I need a machine that is reliable, with part easily accessible and relatively inexpensive with value for money. My intention is to procure service parts from the Florida or any other US state.

What decision would someone with good experience in the industry make if it was up to them?

Great Website!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks
Snatch.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
How old of a machine are you looking at? Without a doubt, some of the best parts distribution is by Cat; given your location, well, Kelly Tractor is a pretty big Cat dealer in Florida, but whether you could get parts quickly from ANY manufacturer might be in question.

I personally am a fan of Cat, Case, and Deere. I think Cats and Deeres are about equal; the Case machines are very reliable and I haven't heard much bad about them.

I'm hesitant to recommend Komatsu, JCB, and NH because I'm not sure how their parts distribution will work in your area (including Florida). Komatsu is still new to the TLB market, and although their machines are generally very reliable, there's no telling how a four year-old machine will run for the next ten years. JCB and NH make very good backhoes -- both sport some of the best performance on the market -- but again, parts may be an issue in your area.

If you're looking for a strong, rough and tumble machine, Case or NH are probably at the top of the game. JCB is also a strong contender. If you want a reliable machine that can give you good resale value, has excellent operator comfort, and offers good parts distribution, Cat and Deere come to mind.

Snatch said:
I am a civil engineer and have just started a very small engineering and construction company. I am thinking about purchasing a used backhoe for general minor earthworks and hereby seeking advice on a brand.

What type would a suggested brand (JCB, John Deere, Case, Cat, N.H) given that I live on an island in the Caribbean that with no dealers. The most popular brands on island are Case and JCB. As a first timer with very limited budget, I need a machine that is reliable, with part easily accessible and relatively inexpensive with value for money. My intention is to procure service parts from the Florida or any other US state.

What decision would someone with good experience in the industry make if it was up to them?

Great Website!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks
Snatch.

Snatch

Occupation
Civil Engineer/ Contractor
BobcatS250,

Thanks for your response. I am looking for a machine with about 2000-2500 hrs, which seem to be the acceptable range for used equipment. I am not to keen on resale value. CAT & Case is always my first choice because i have heard so much about these brands, but i also understand the parts are abit costly more so for the CAT. I have read alot about the John Deere Backhoes but have not seen them in action or heard any reports on the cost to maintain them.

Snatch

Nac

Occupation
Construction
I have had expierance with Cat , Case and John Deere. The Cat's are good but seem to be tipsy when booming over the sides. Case is th old stand by that all you use to see in my area. lately you see more and more John Deere's I have ran them seem to be very stable and powerfull. I would suggest John Deere in my area they seem to be the best with me. I have had bad expierance with the Cat and Komatsu Dealer in my area, well just my opinion.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
If you can afford the price, I believe the Case L series have been a good machine for many contractors. They should be in your hour range.

Cat's machines have been getting better with the lifting since the C-series. They originally had some problems with the boom relief valve opening too often when craning, but I believe they've done better with them now.

Deere machines are good, but I'm not sure I'd take an older Deere over an older Cat.

Preppypyro

A good question would be, how limited is your budget?

Case, cat and deere are all great. Around here you see mainly case, and actually there is still alot of older case's still out and about.

Cat and JD are around too, and they seem to do just fine.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Case L series has stood the test of time in our area for heavy industry. Your application it seems would be a perfect fit. Case models are light , hard to get stuck, awesome visability, long strong reach, great breakout power the list goes on and on.The front end is balanced and powerfull. Get a 4x4, extendahoe and if your needs are more reach, the 590L is what we use. I go back to our 580 and sometimes cant believe how much more machine the 590 is!!!

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
As far as new machines, Im was diehard case till my dad bought a 410G. More power, better, balance, a twice the comfort of a case. I still swear by the Super L we had though. For what you need look for a Series 2 L. Cant go wrong. Stay away from early L's though. And I wouldnt go anywere near a cat unless its free and even then I rethink it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Go with Case. I have less problems dealing with Case parts than anyone else. Cat is good with parts, after you sit on the phone for 25 minutes for the parts guy to find the part you need to order it. With a Case machine, unlike Cat, you can look up your part online at their website. This applies to all Case/New Holland machines. And as a mechanic, I'd take a late model 580K or 580L over any machine to perfom repairs on. My second choice would be Deere ;)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have to ammend something concerning my last post. You can view Cat parts diagrams at their website once you submit the info about your machine that you own, they'll make the parts diagrams available for you to view. But I'll add this, Cat diagrams and parts pages are not nearly as user friendly as Case. :)

Bob t

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the info very interesting cat did have a problem with lift on the 416's but have corrected this with the c model.

Nothinbetter

I like Case, Deere, and even Ford/New Holland. Cats are very well built, but I have yet to find one that isn’t “jerky/touchy“. I admit I’ve only run 3, two 416 C‘s and a new 420 E. The E was the best by far, but still not as nice as a Deere 410D or newer. To me Deere has always seemed to be the best overall, easy to get parts, strong, long lasting and very good “feel” with the controls. Deere seems to me to start good in cold weather. Case and Ford seem very good, but not in the same league as Deere or Cat for strenght on the loader end. To me they just feel "lighter".

leverpuller

Occupation
Supervisor for Grading and Utilies Contractor
I would go with JCB they are a good backhoe they mustly have perkins dieasl motors not reel hard to get parts for I run a cat 420 about every aother day JD is nice I like there dozer beater case is nice I like there dozers backhoe I don't know

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
410G vs 430EIT.........410 hands down, walks all over the 430(or anything) if you ask me. My dad has one, what a nice machine. Comfortable, quick, stable, powerful, smooth.

john1066

The Deere 410G is one of the best backhoes i have run yet. other than the 710G but thats another animal. Cats are not worth the money. Only thing to look at is if you are going to drive it over the road or trailer it. the deere rearends don't hold up to driving at high speeds all the time. Jim could tell us more about teh case but i think they are built more for traveling