• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

backhoe as a multi tool

The Farmboy

Occupation
high school and farming love farming with my dad
hello guys i live on a huge farm here in ky which means there be very wet periods and very dry spells so what im wondering is could i buy a big backhoe and put out hay with it then i can take the pallet forks off and move dirt .. and also i cld clean out my creeks and ponds out .. so wld this work and if i get one it will need to have a cab 4wd and a good ac and heat.... oh by the way i have another tractor that i can mow and bail with so i dnt need pto.. thanks what would you guys perfer and will i get as many hours out of the hoe as if it was a tractor..

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The cab and heat/AC are optional but the 4x4 is a very good thing to have.Most of the time you will not need it so leave it disengaged to decrease wear but it will increase the ability of the machine to do the type of work that you need it for.If a contractor could only have one machine the TLB would be it.It can do just about everything with the right operator.Ron G

JKS

A backhoe would be a great addition to the farm for the things that you listed. I have a John Deere 310e "Plain Jane" model and we use it more around our farm than the other tractor. A 4x4 backhoe is pretty much a Swiss Army knife when it comes to doing various jobs and projects around the farm. Good luck and enjoy your backhoe when you decide to get one. JKS

inthedirt

What you need is a quick coupler for the loader bucket. With one of these, you simply unhook from your regular bucket, then hook up to a set of pallet forks, or a coupler frame with a bale spike, or maybe have one of each. There are mechanical couplers that work good, or now they have hydraulic couplers on the newer machines so you never leave the seat to couple/uncouple. Of course this can get expensive, so you might just get a set of weld on hooks on the top of your loader bucket and use a set of forks or make a bale spike for that.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
a thumb is almost a must with a backhoe very versitile. extenda hoe is nice also some people disagree because of the added weight to the machine and less break out force. Personally i like the extra reach again a lot of people will disagree just reposition and dig some more. i agree with the quick coupler on the machine both front and back, beating pins in and out sucks and also its so easy to swell the ends buy smacking them with a sledge. rear aux for thumb,breaker,auger, are nice. ultimatly it come down to what you can afford new slightly used couple thousand hours or really old basics only. hope you can find one you like and can afford

The Farmboy

Occupation
high school and farming love farming with my dad
also i could put out hay then on my way out i could stop side the pond and lower the arms the swing the hoe round and bust the ice no more shoviling it all out ... thanks to all but what kinds best

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
that all depends on dealer support honestly thats one major point to look at. second what you need to do, do you need 15 ft dig depth 6 ton lift capacity, breakout force. you can have the best machine out their but with out dealer support as in parts service sales for attachments, or just plain hey this is wrong what do i do to fix it. Well we will have to look at it bring it in, then you have a bill for 500 min for well this lever was out of adjustment seen it a million times thats 2 hours labor plus shop supplies grease and whatever else they want to put on their for their cost.

Also warranty work on new machines or for that matter just bought used machines. say you buy a backhoe used two weeks later pump goes out dealer says thats all on you thanks for your money. Or like the dealership i worked at previously we will split it 50/50 on parts and labor or you buy parts we will cover labor. The dealership i worked at bent over backwards to cover its customers stuff that was questionable on warranty they got pushed through and covered. loaner machines for the first year on new machine purchases while your machine was down in the shop. So ultimately i say dealer support is a major factor in selecting a machine. A new holland dealer around me waits on parts for weeks to come in or puts off the small guy until its convenient for them to look at it. personally i would buy older in working good order machines that you dont need a computer to tell you that something is wrong and to tell you what sensor to look at because 5 are all tied together and only one is bad but they cost $500 a piece. Like the old saying says kiss keep it simple stupid

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Which loader/hoe to purchase? Just my perspective as a mechanic, Case 580L or 580M. Not saying other machines are inferior, just that they are good, solid built machines. :)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
As ATCO said the Case might be the first choice.I have found the John Deeres to be my preference as an operator.I am not at all impressed with the Cats and their plasticy trim with parts falling off while you work.
There are not many other choices I am afraid but I have been away now for a few years.
The great equalizer,that which levels the playing field is the ability to get service/parts for your machine.When the backhoe is disabled due to lack of parts it is worthless to you and the cream of the crop becomes distasteful in a hurry when it is costing you money with no return or worse holding up progress in other areas so the number one prority will be dealer/access to parts and service.Ron G