• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe and a Pole Barn?

Claus

I'm looking at a Morton Building with 14' walls and 12' X 12' doors. I don't have a backhoe but maybe someday. Will a Deere 310E or a Case 580 L (for examples) fit in a 12' high door? I'm thinking not without lowering the boom.

bill onthehill

I'm looking at a Morton Building with 14' walls and 12' X 12' doors. I don't have a backhoe but maybe someday. Will a Deere 310E or a Case 580 L (for examples) fit in a 12' high door? I'm thinking not without lowering the boom.

My 580 K with extend-a-hoe fits in a 12' door but the hoses for the e-hoe rub just a little.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
go ahead and make it at least 13'6" legal height the you have to worry about it never know when may have to get some in quick before rain shower

Claus

go ahead and make it at least 13'6" legal height the you have to worry about it never know when may have to get some in quick before rain shower

That would be an option, even though I am zoned A1 Agricultural the county will make me get a variance if I go any taller than 20'. With that and added cost I will be keeping 14' walls and 12' doors.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Double check how your county code height is written. In many areas the codes consider half way from the eves to the roof to be the legal height. I proved that here to our local county inspector when he didn't like my two story garage.

If you go with a sliding door you can get a 13-6 door in a 14 ft end wall.

Last edited:

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Clintm is right, go 13'6". As for the code issue, you need to do your homework and determine how its measured, and go from there. But if its an issue there are trusses built with a grove in the bottom of them for just that purpose.

ttazzman

I would highly suggest 14' wide......and as high as possible .......i have a 14' eave ht. building with a 12 x 12 door......and lots of equipment every day i wish it was wider.......occasionally i wish it was taller...

my next building will have a 16' wide door in it....and at least 14 height

Last edited:

syndy

Occupation
Retired
My wife and I built a barn for our 580SE a couple of years ago with all material cost at $1700. Took us 10 days with the last two in rain and a broken generator. It is 12'W X 30'L and the door is 10'W by about 11 high. I just leave the boom down. Slide show here, https://app.box.com/s/nmuz91xk54c725yhm25s

royferntree

JD Backhoe

I have a JD 315 SE at the moment and my shed just fit it in, my opening is 4 meters or about 13.123 feet and is quite easy to go in but backing out is not the same as I have to clear a fence, 4.5 meters wide would have been better and would have been easier to back out while turning, For the height, I'd say 13 feet would clear it and that is with a low tire pressure on the back tires. You see I built my shed long before I bought my JD or else I would have made the openings wider. Cheers.

Deon

My garage is 32 ft deep with 12 ft ceiling and garage door is a role up measuring 10 x 10. The ceiling trust are notched so that the door track is a bit higher. With boom down and rear bucket almost scraping the ground my 310D extendabla hoe just fits in. The beakon light and exhaust pipe clears the top of the door by 1". That's the limit. Garage was here before the TLB and I only bring it in for repairs so that's ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 425

maddog

I went with 12 by 12 doors in my old garage, height yes for my excavator, width should have only been 10'. My next garage is going to be 14' tall door 10' wide Only because of the 4 post lift and my npr truck

oarwhat

I have 12'x12' doors on my shop since 1980. The only thing we owned that wouldn't fit was a Cat 988. We let air out of the tires to get in if we really wanted it in there. I've had Ford 550,555 and 655 and Cat 416B backhoes. They all would fit but we just lower it a touch when going in. It's second nature when entering a building.

As far as width wide would be nice but not necessary.
All that being said if you ever want to work on a tractor trailer you'll need 14' doors.

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Don't forget to subtract the thickness of a poured floor. Truss height is normally figured from the bottom of the splash board on pole buildings. If the splash board is used as the form, you lose the floor thickness from the advertised truss height.

Claus

I have 12'x12' doors on my shop since 1980. The only thing we owned that wouldn't fit was a Cat 988. We let air out of the tires to get in if we really wanted it in there. I've had Ford 550,555 and 655 and Cat 416B backhoes. They all would fit but we just lower it a touch when going in. It's second nature when entering a building.

As far as width wide would be nice but not necessary.
All that being said if you ever want to work on a tractor trailer you'll need 14' doors.

The dream of a backhoe is just to use around my place (57 +/- acres), as for getting a truck in the shop I have no desire to own a truck but back in the day Dad used to get the Mack R in His garage with 10.5' high X 10' wide doors.

utahjd1

My garage is 32 ft deep with 12 ft ceiling and garage door is a role up measuring 10 x 10. The ceiling trust are notched so that the door track is a bit higher. With boom down and rear bucket almost scraping the ground my 310D extendabla hoe just fits in. The beakon light and exhaust pipe clears the top of the door by 1". That's the limit. Garage was here before the TLB and I only bring it in for repairs so that's ok.
That's one sexy hoe