• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Back into civils at last! 1:87 style...

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Been a civil engineer for 6 years now, but mainly been doing admin work for a big civil firm that payed my tuition. Now, I got my own fleet, and first project: preparing mielie fields. Pics will follow.

I got a cat 315C, M318D, 627G, 160H, Case 580 MII, Liebherr 580 & MAN TGA 26.410 with lowboy. Got it off an auction lot, and used to belong to Liebherr, as a delivery truck. one strange tipper and a flatdeck.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ya, sorry about that. "Mielie" is the S.A term for corn/maize. Went scouting the job, but I need a bulldozer. infact, I am looking for one right now. I also have another project lined up, for some time next week.

Does JD have a 1:87 Backhoe loader?

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Hey Bellboy, I'd recommend a First Gear International Harvester TD-15 or TD-25. I've got a TD-25 and it's a great machine for our land clearing/roadbuilding work. Or if you need something bigger, Norscot's Cat D9T. I just got the D9T and the 627G and they're both working out great.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ya, saw the D9T as I was scouting, but I don't know if my local dealer has one in stock. I am going up to JHB on Tuesday, where I hope to get a 1:40 Doosan, as well as possibly acquiring a machine or 2 so I need to post some pics tomorrow to keep the natives happy. It was too wet and rainy to do anything today, plus I had other things on my mind. I will also hopefully be getting behind the wheel of a Gallion T500d tomorrow, so when I have the time...

Stretch: As much as i would love one of those internationals, at sukke prysie, Aih, Aikhona Baba. I'm very sorry, but I can't afford it, as well as the shipping price. Maar will have to make do with what I got.

WILL POST PICS!!

Last edited:

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I hear ya...even the D9 is cheaper! But I got my 25 for Christmas so at least I didn't have to worry about the cost. I still wouldn't hesitate to buy either one if I see it somewhere.

Yes pics please...I'll be out on my job as soon as it stops raining!

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
OK, here is a pic of my 1:87 fleet. As you can see, still dozerless, but I am working on it. Will post some more this evening. Could only take one coz my camera was full...

from left to right: Cat 315C, Cat 627G scraper, Liebherr 580 Payloader, Case 580M II, Cat m318D, MAN with lowboy and Cat 160H on the back.

Attachments

• Models15.jpg
    Models15.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 1,300

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Didn't manage to find a dozer, so I will just have to do the mielie project the south african way with what I got: dig the bush up, haul it and bury it. I will use my new Case CX330 xcavata, case 340 ADT, Liebherr 580 and funny little tipper truck(matchbox). Might need the grader for the roads.

here are some pics of the newbies:

Stretch: looked at your road project last night, looking good. I have got the same DAF flatbed, only in green and black.:cool2

1: The upgraded fleet
2: The new (old) Mercedes Benz 3333 S, with semi detached concrete mixer detached
3: The new Case CX 330 arriving on the lowboy
4: The new Case 340
5: Behind the grader is the DAF lorry, and behind that is my matchbox tipper.
Won't be posting for the next few days, going up to Gauteng for the rest of the week. We'll start the project next monday.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 983
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 992
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 976
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I'd be careful with the CX330...one of the lift cylinder snapped on mine and now it's sitting dead in the yard. And does the boom seem to tilit from side-to-side a bit...or was it just me? I think I'll be sticking with Volvo this time!

And thanks, we'll be on that one for a while!

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ya, the case is fine, but it is my cat M318D that has a shifty boom. I will be starting tomorrow, so will post some pics asap.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Finally managed to get going on the project.

1: The TLB arriving on the lowboy
2: Case excavata digging a hole in which to bury the waste.
3: An overview of the site 3 days in.
4: I thought this was a cool view.:cool2
5: the Liebherr leveling and clearing bush.

Attachments

• m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 881
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 879
  • M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 875
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 851
  • m9.jpg
    m9.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 819

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Some more...

1: Liebherr loading Case.
2: Tipper, DAF flatbed and Case TLB parked off for the night
3: CX330 doing some more digging
4: Loading cleared bush into the ADTs.
5: Liebherr loading Kaelble, the newest addition to the fleet.

Attachments

• m14.jpg
    m14.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 828
  • m13.jpg
    m13.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 823
  • m12.jpg
    m12.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 794
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 784
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 792

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ja. Try as I may, the Bulldozer eludes my tantalizing grasp. Unfortunately, the farmer did not do an Environmental Impact Assessment, so the project was found to be illigitimate. Great. Oh well. Got a drainage project coming up, so I still got something to feed my hungry beasts with. HAHAHA.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I hopefully start the drainage project tomorrow. It entails the cleaning up of the end of the canal, and moving the build up to be regraded above the canal. I also need to grade the top of the culvert for a fence that is going in and some landscaping. I'll need the grader, excavata, TLB, ADTs and payloader again. Most of my kit. We will see if I need the scraper or not. Dozer will just have to wait, so in the mean time I am using the payloader.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Well, the retaining wall and culvert around the tunnel collapsed yesterday, so there is some more earth to move. I think I'll use the 315C and the rigid tipper there, as it isn't a huge distance that needs to be covered. As soon as the earth is out of the way, I'll stagger the prefab sections, as the last time they were placed straight up. Let me get going on that.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Well, I got started this morning, but this one is going to take some time. The collapsed culvert needs more earth moved than was previously thought, so I am just going to leave the 315 and tipper there, quietly getting on, until the bigger machines are free. I have had to build a haul road, from the excavation site to the dumping site, and it is about 2 1/2 km long, two lanes of course. The grader was busy today doing that.
Pics.

Attachments

• DP1.jpg
    DP1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 287
  • DP2.jpg
    DP2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 293
  • DP3.jpg
    DP3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 290
  • DP5.jpg
    DP5.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 284
  • DP6.jpg
    DP6.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 280

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
some more...

Attachments

• DP9.jpg
    DP9.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 287
  • DP8.jpg
    DP8.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 295
  • DP7.jpg
    DP7.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 288
  • DP11.jpg
    DP11.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 288
  • DP15.jpg
    DP15.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 279

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Last lot for today. We'll see what I get up to in the morning.

Attachments

• DP18.jpg
    DP18.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 291
  • DP19.jpg
    DP19.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 294