• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

axle weight for ct

shadow

i was look at getting a new 6 wheel dump truck with a lift axle and i have come up against a wall with the ct dot regulation on weights per axle looking at new and used trucks.

I was wonder how a straight 6 wheel dump truck with axles 10000lbs in the front and 23000lbs in the rear could be 33000 gvw. When the state of ct says that on a single axle truck both axle can only support 18000lbs each. so could that truck only hold 28000lbs not 33000lbs. Dose this mean that most of the truck on the road are illege and over axle weight all the time and how dangersus is it to be over the weight limit on the axle

To be able to get the full weight of a ten wheel with the six with a lift would the axles have to support 18000lbs on the steer and 18000lbs on the drive and pusher
to get the weight to 53800gvw and anything less would mean the gvw would have to be lowerd

how then do you buy a used truck and fix the axle so the can way out right when you get pull over or is the only way to get a new truck with the right axle weights.

could you get an over weight ticket if you a register for 53800 but the truck only axles out to 50000lbs would you get a ticket for being 38000lbs overweight.

for a triaxle to be leagle in this state would you need to have a 22000 steer axle and three 18000lbs rear axles to get to the 74000lbs weight

How through is the ct dot in checking all the weights on the suspension axles rims and tires and will they tank the lowest number and that is what the axle can support for exaple an axle rated to 20000lbs has 4 rims rated to 5000lbs and tires rated to 4000lbs since the tires can only support 16000lbs is that now the weight the axle can support.

got the weight from this web site http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/Documents/dpermits/eh_ndlgi.pdf

Last edited:

87silvert

weights

I am pretty sure it is 20,000 lb on each axle. It is 18,000 when they are less than 72" apart center to center. That is why some use the spread axles. So for a six wheeler, it would be 20 each, or the lesser of the ratings considering axles and tires. So you are right, to have a six wheeler legal at 33,000 like everyone registers them for, you should have at least a 13,000 pound axle in the front. The only ones I have seen with good fronts are some of the municipal trucks.
For a tri-axle in CT, you are good to 73,000 without a permit and 76,500 with the permit. What really makes the permit worthwhile is that you can go 44,000 on the tandems with it. Ten wheelers can get an axle weight permit too but with no overall GVW increase.
Yes, they do weigh each axle individually, especially on dump trucks because it is almost a sure thing. I have been at 67,000 with a tri-axle and over on the rears with out the permit. The ticket was nothing to laugh at.:eek: I highly recommend the permit.
If I were to spec a six wheeler it would have a set back axle with a 16,000 lb rating with 315/80/22.5 tires, and a 12 foot body with lower sides. The truck would not be great in soft soils because of the front axle loading, but it's all a compromise.
For what it is worth, I would never consider a heavier six wheeler with a 10,000 front axle. In my experience, the most over loaded truck is a six wheeler because you want to feel like you are getting something done, especially when you end up doing something local.
Hope this helps

richie

Kinda doesnt matter, if they want to ticket you they will find a way. You could be under your gvw but over on a axle weight and they know that. Depends on the dot cop and state debt. Dumps trucks dont have a sliding body and no scale house at a pit is going to weigh every axle, so your gona be over on an axle sometimes.

harleytramp

Occupation
Truck Driver
get the permit, doesn't matter where the load is sitting then

I have a Peterbilt tri axle in New York. I just got my apportioned plates. I have an overweight permit for New York for 71,250 pounds. My apportioned plates gave me 71,250 for New York but only 57,000 for Connecticut. How can i get more ? My truck weight is 29,000. Where do i have to apply?

harleytramp

Occupation
Truck Driver
I just got my apportioned plates. My home state is New York. I have New York overweight permit which gives me 71,250 pounds. I have 2006 Peterbilt, model 379 tri axle. My aportioned plates came through with 71,250 for New York but only 57,000 for Connecticut. Thats only good for hauling popcorn. Where can i apply for a Connecticut overweight permit and why did i not get more with my apportioned plates. I have 23 feet from the center of the steer axle to the center of the rear drive axle