• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Axle spreads on West Coast/ California trailers

3thirteen

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I have been following the End dump and Low boy threads. There are some sharp rigs out there. I noticed that a lot of the trailers from the west coast or california in particular have axle spreads on the rear tandems. What is the reason behind the spread? I think they look pretty cool (murray makes a nice trailer) but you never seem them up here in the great white north. :drinkup

rigandig

three13, I don't believe that the spread axle trailers are specific to Ca or the west coast. They are used nation wide here.
The basic premise is that with a 10'1' (commonly referred to as a 10' spread) spread axle , the bridge laws are such that you can load the axles as individual axles,ie;20k per axle on the tralier without an oversize/overweight permit. That is of course staying within the max gross weight allowed for the vehicle/combination. It made it much easier to place a load on the trk/trl without being over on any axles by loading heavier towards the rear of the trl. Hope this answers your question.