• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Auxiliary thumb rocker not working, Cat 287b

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi Kepler, Going by the symptoms that you describe the aux hydraulics , coupler pins and the bucket level system not working correctly. I would suggest you check the power feed to the fuse box containing the aux ECM fuse and the coupler/ level fuse they are fed by the same power wire which in turn is fed by power relay C as shown below

Mark

SS fuse block.jpgSS relay board.jpg

to confirm power issue .try your wiper washers when the fault occurs as they are also fed from this circuit

sorry posted this before s/n was posted I may have to double check the sch lay out
regards
Mark

Last edited:

Kepler

Perfect. As you said, had a look at power relay C and noticed the contacts were bent in a bit. Testing the really there was no fault and power at the pins was right. So I corrected the contacts to ensure there was proper contact being made. With that we had full functionality. Much appreciate you assistance here Mark.

Timber2Tinder

Nige, we are having a similar issue today. Washed the machine and the only thing not working is the thumb rocker. We have no flow and the engine doesn't bog down.

Our SN is: ZSA03281

It was working all morning. Please advise

Timber2Tinder

Machine Serial Number would be a good start ...... finding an Electrical Schematic isn't hard once we have that.

Nige, we are having a similar issue today. Washed the machine and the only thing not working is the thumb rocker. We have no flow and the engine doesn't bog down.

Our SN is: ZSA03281

It was working all morning. Please Advise

PopArcher

Nige, Mark 250 -
256c XPS High Flow s/n DWS00524
First -Thanks guys for all you time and effort answer these questions.
I am a fairly new Skid steer owner/operator, so the learning curve has been steep. My machine is new to me and has about 2000 or so hours, starts and runs fine and I have change all fluids etc to get familiar with it and typical maintenance. I have been looking online at available manuals to understand all the bells and whistles.
My issue is getting the machine to work in high flow (to operate a forestry mulcher). Seem to run standard flow fine (open front mega mower). On occasion I get a couple green indications on the left top panel, one is continuous flow indicator and the other I am not sure (a green arc enlarging from left to right). I bought a connector cap for the aux. elec. that enabled continuous flow. Then heard I need a aux elec. cap for high flow. Can you clarify what is required to set the high flow up to run continuously and what indication you should have in the cab that it is in fact in high flow. Thanks again for your time.

Mark250

Occupation
hi PopArcher,to enable high flow on C series machines a connection must be made across pin numbers F and G at the connector on lift frame this is usually done via the work tool electrical circuit see below or post number 16 above
high flow connector.jpg
to enable cont flow hold the cont flow button 6 below and operate the thumb wheel to its full extent then release button 6 and within 2 seconds release the thumb wheel this should enable high flow with the indicators in overhead panel lit up
C series joystick.jpghigh flow cont.jpg

PopArcher

hi PopArcher,to enable high flow on C series machines a connection must be made across pin numbers F and G at the connector on lift frame this is usually done via the work tool electrical circuit see below or post number 16 above
View attachment 154658
to enable cont flow hold the cont flow button 6 below and operate the thumb wheel to its full extent then release button 6 and within 2 seconds release the thumb wheel this should enable high flow with the indicators in overhead panel lit up
View attachment 154659View attachment 154660

Mark250,
Thanks for the info. If all you mentioned is executed, should both the green indicators remain lit while operating?
I had to install a dummy cap to get the Continuous Flow to lock in as you describe. Now, I understand the high flow jumper is required as well. I purchased a "high flow dummy cap" as well. They maybe one in the same? I will verify connections as F to G in both caps, to understand what I have in hand.
I have ordered an Operations/Maintenance manual as others have said it would answer all these type questions and be a good resource for future issues.
Thanks for your time.

Wait I reread and understand they should be lit while operating.
Thanks

Last edited:

Mark250

Occupation
hi, you don't a dummy cap for cont flow. it will work with standard or high flow. the indicator on the left in the circled item above is high flow and the other one is cont flow and will be lit when these options are selected
Mark

PopArcher

Understood Mark, Thanks. I may have an issue then as mine would not run in continuous mode until I installed the 107$ dummy cap on the new aux plug in, the old one was crushed when I bought the machine..?? And the high flow indication will not stay lit. I am headed to the farm for the next week and will get to work with it some more. Thanks again for your time. Will update you with progress or not..

PopArcher

Understood Mark, Thanks. I may have an issue then as mine would not run in continuous mode until I installed the 107$ dummy cap on the new aux plug in, the old one was crushed when I bought the machine..?? And the high flow indication will not stay lit. I am headed to the farm for the next week and will get to work with it some more. Thanks again for your time. Will update you with progress or not..

Mark250 , Nige -
Closing the loop here -
Continuous and high flow are now operational thanks to this thread and conversation. I found a bad connection in the Aux. Elec connector, as it had been crushed and I replaced the same and installed the dummy cap, thinking all was well. I just did not think I had to go there again, but as discussed here and many threads. The talk of short circuits and open circuits due to worn wiring harnesses etc. being the culprit of many problems, I went back and found an issue. Those darn pin extractor tools need some work.. one pin and it happened to be F was slightly miss shapened and not making a solid connection. Thus causing intermittent connections and correct operations on occasion.
With High Regards
Thanks

BigSmiles

Timber2Tinder, I am having the same issue you described in your post. Did you ever figure out the problem?

Midnightmoon

nige funny aye? if two speed and aux are not working look to the common denominator of these two. They may both be controlled by the aux controller if its the same as the 257b. Just spent too much time on the same issue on a 257b.

DrewNY

Good morning,
Very similar issue with my 2006 287B XPS VZSA03585. When I connect the auger attachment, I have no response when activating the thumb rocker switch. I have put 12V on both solenoids while machine is off to see if they at least actuate, and can hear the "click" when applied. Did a basic review of relays and fuses in the fuse block below the seat and all appear to be functional. Is there another check to complete that can rule out a CPU board or the thumb rocker switch itself? Any help is appreciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Start with the thumb roller switch. At the 12-pin harness connector directly below the joystick you should have 8v between Pins 1 & 2 of the connector with the key ON.
If the 8v is good, then measure the output voltage on Pin 3. It should be somewhere around 4.5-5.0v with the roller in the centre and about 0.8v difference from the centre voltage when the roller is moved full forward or full back.

1686758996886.png