• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Auxiliary Heater - recommended location

SnoSheriff

I have 2005 Mustang 2054 with open cab and no heat. I'd like to install one of those auxiliary heaters and weld up a door for it. What is the best place to install one of these heaters? Where do I tap into the cooling lines? Thank you.

Glen1978

Well not sure if this helps but we have used the Mojave heaters from Flex-a-Lite in offroad buggies before and they will burn you OUT. Summit Racing also makes a generic one that is quite a bit cheaper. Not sure on your mounting or tapping but thought I could throw in my $.02.

xcmark

Occupation
construction
All the OEM seam to mount the heater low like infront of the door or under the seat like where your legs are. I would suggest putting it some where that it can blow on the windows in front and sides or atleast move the air so it doesnt steam up.

rst277

I made a heater from a heater core and a 12v fan for an old toyota wagon I had. I would try to put it off the floor on the front of the seat so its right under your thighs. Then you can't step on it. You'll want to get coolant from in front of the thermostat so you get heat asap, not only after the thermostat opens. Good luck. Ralph in Winnipeg.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Your going to want to mount it somewhere low as possible or your feet will be cold. Try to keep the hoses short and as low as possible as well for good circulation.

Btw, you don't happen to have or had a XJ bike by chance?

SnoSheriff

Hmm, I was going to hang it from the ceiling behind my head. I also considered an old car heater core approach. That would be less $.

Yes, I do have an XJ ;). PM me if you wanna talk XJs

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
The reason for having it low is two fold, First heat rises, forcing the cooler more dense air downwards... towards your feet. Your torso will be nice and toasty but your legs and feet will cold.

Secondly, the higher you mount the heater core the harder time the water pump is going to have pushing the coolant through it. Depending on your w/p output you might have to put a booster pump inline with the heater hoses to circulate more coolant through the core. That's why i would have to suggest keeping the heater low down and the hoses as short as possible. More circulation more heat.

cartzblown94z

my gehl is mounted behind the seat and has a fan that blows it out there and a big hose that runs hot air down by your feet and to defrost the door, it needs rewired and i dont have a door so i didnt use it yet but it should work ok, it is OEM and looks like a heater core and has 2 hoses off the motor, i could send some pics if you wanted

SnoSheriff

my gehl is mounted behind the seat and has a fan that blows it out there and a big hose that runs hot air down by your feet and to defrost the door, it needs rewired and i dont have a door so i didnt use it yet but it should work ok, it is OEM and looks like a heater core and has 2 hoses off the motor, i could send some pics if you wanted

Yes, pictures would be very helpful! Can you post them here? Just last night I was thinking about using a flex hose for the vent plumbing... But I'm just not sure what kind of hose to use, diameter etc...

cartzblown94z

ill get some pics this weekend of the heater and the hoses off the motor. its a factory option on my machine but could give you some ideas maybe