• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Aux Hyd Not Working 277B

Jfarris

I have a Cat 277B with 1600 hrs. I haven't used the auxiliary hydraulics in about 2 years. Last time I did, it worked just fine. I hooked up a sweeper attachment today, and there's no hydraulic flow. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to fix it? I'm sure I have to raise the cab...

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
How easy did the quick connect fittings go on? Maybe an issue there, also the hydraulic pressure release switch, check function of this, maybe faulty and keeping the dump valve for this circuit active. Also remove the sweeper and activate the auxiliary control and see if the hydraulics load up and you can see the lines pulse. Usually if everything else is working, the circuit is ok. Check those few things and see what you might find.

fsmech

Occupation
field service mechanic
Have you had any luck mate? Also looks like a couple of fuses and relays in control of the auxiallry hydraulics. In the fuse box as listed in the manual, check all the fuses first, then move on to the relays!

16 Auxiallry Hydraulic ECM 10amp
27 Auxiliary Hydraulic C- 10amp
28 Auxiliary Hydraulic C+ 10amp
29 Auxiliary Tools 15amp
30 Auxiliary Electrical Control C1 10amp
33 Spare 15amp
34 Auxiliary Electrical Control C2 10amp

Relays
1 Finger Trigger for the Work Tool
26 Auxiliary Hydraulic C-Solenoid
31 Auxiliary Electric Control C1
32 Auxiliary Hydraulic C+Solenoid
35 ECM signal for the Auxiliary Hydraulic C+ and the Auxiliary Hydraulic C-
36 Auxiliary Electric Control C2

farmkid16_2002

Occupation
Diesel Tech, Welder Fabricator
Is it a right hand thumb wheel on the the joystick. 99% of the time it is the thumb wheel. We look at this through ET and see -100 through +100 and variance we replace it with new joystick. Also check power fuses and the solenoid to run the auxiliary.

Jfarris

Well almost a year later, I'm ready to tackle this. It does have the thumb wheel. I checked fuses, they're good. I'm going to buy a relays, then go to the joystick after that. I'll post what the end result is by tomorrow. Thanks for your guys' help.

Jfarris

Fuses and relays are good. There is a lot of slop in the right joystick. I've already replaced the left side because it was leaking really bad, so I'm going to go ahead and replace the right one. This one has the thumb wheel on it. I'm hoping this fixes the issue. If not, what would be next?

BernardH

How did you fix the Thumb wheel? did you replace the whole Joystick handle or did you find a replacement Thumb wheel? Mine is not working, went real slow one time then nada. Took the thumb roller off and the magnet is corroded to pieces. Any after market thumb roller you find?

Tyler d4c

How did you fix the Thumb wheel? did you replace the whole Joystick handle or did you find a replacement Thumb wheel? Mine is not working, went real slow one time then nada. Took the thumb roller off and the magnet is corroded to pieces. Any after market thumb roller you find?
If your certain its only the magnet ill look in my junk box and see if I got one in a bad handle thats usable but most of the time the switch is bad

BernardH

Seeing it crumble. I had hoped to find a substitute on line but I cannot find any reference or interchange from PWM to a Hall Effect voltage modulated roller. Otto makes the Finger trigger but the Thumb Roller has no markings on it. Took apart the switch and it uses a magnet in the top rocker area that rocks across the computer switch sensor. Seems that half circle magnet could be replace and glued to where the old one disintergrated.