• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Automatics in older class 8 trucks

vtcntrctr

We're looking at buying another single axle truck. A lot of the used truck in our price range (8000-16000) are auto's. Both my boss (the outfit's mechanic) and I are highly suspect of automatics. is our hesitation warranted in class 8 truck, or are the auto's in that range more reliable?

Thanks

markshr151

Automatics have a bad rap because we all have cursed our autos in our one-ton trucks but what if your skid steer had to be shifted five times to pick up or Carry a load. Many years ago I replaced a 5x4 ( witch I knew how to shift ) with a 5 speed Allison the result was like adding 100 hp. On top of that in the sand my little tandem dump truck with 18 yds was now passing the Mack's in forward and reverse. I also got good service and economy. When I sold the truck I told the new owner/not driver that the trans was fool proof but not jerk/idiot proof, he proved me right when the driver returning to the pit down shifted into first at 60 mph and broke more stuff then the truck was worth. P.S. I live in flat country.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I have owned about 5 trucks, in the last 10 years with automatics, they range from 1988 ford tandem tandem, 1995 International tandem, 1996 International quad, 1983 Ford tandem dump,
2005 Sterling quad dump. Im probably very luckly, but Ive never had to do anything to them, but Ive replaced alot of straight shift trannies and clutches in my other trucks
The automatics pull great in sand and no twist ing driveshafts, or bunny hopping
Go automatics in dump trucks

Dualie

are you talking about a True automatic or a Automated manual transmission? i have had decent luck with the Allison's but grew to hate the Autoshifts.