• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

auto lube system

BrianHay

I was still typing when the question got answered...lol again. The solution to protecting the lines that MKTEF gave sounds like it would work purty good.

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vogel systems

I heard that over 80% of the excavators in Finland, (which is mostly water), are outfitted with Vogel automatic, central lubrication systems at the dealership, and believe that this is a window into the future for the rest of the planet as well. Why not?

True, it's better for the operator to take a hands on approach, and walk around his machine every day, greasing, and inspecting, BUT......in the real world, only about 8% of the operators actually do it, SO....bottom line, call Vogel!

The LA Dept. of Transportation has begun making this a standard, first with their road sweepers, then eventually the rest.

Vogel even has a system to include the Rototilt in the excavator lube kit!!!!

Rockbreaker

Auto lube

Auto lube system on machines is great,but you must always take a walk every day around the macine too see if there are leaks on the system.
Not many operaters do that but if there is a leak the grease dont get to the lubrication point and thats not the meaning is it?
Machines get better and more greasing by an auto lube system.
And the operater can refill once a month.
I have tried Lincon and Groenweld and both where good and user friendly.:waving

Per Eriksson

Let me take a wild guess here Dirtman, You also sell Vogel?

Cat's own system is made by Groeneweld.
Lincoln are very common around here as well.

Both can be setup to lube every point on a machine except the driveshafts.
Fit a quick connect fitting and you can have the systems extended on your Rotitlt or bucket whatever brand you choose....

Protecting the lines and lube points can be a bit tricky sometimes but an install on a medium sized excavator takes about a full day.

Ray Welsh

Banned
all the new loaders we sell to state of Indiana have auto lube on them and most of the new Terex end dumps.

systems are very reliable, just keep them full of grease and inspect you lube points once in a while to be sure they are geting grease. the install takes some time as you must route all the lube lines and watch out for pinch points that could damage them.

you can set the luber for how often you want it to cycle and how long the cycle runs. These setings affect how often you will need to refill the luber with grease.

now the down side......... once you set you luber up it pumps the same amount of grease eveytime it cycles, does not matter if you are working the machine hard or the machine is parked with the engine idleing.......I often see Indiana DOT machines with puddles of grease under them because they allow the loader to set and run so much.

hard to find that sweet stop between under greasing and over greasing.

Auto-greasing is great on production machines. Around 1976 we had 475B Michigan/Clark loaders which came with auto lube for all pins. They were adjustable and worked after "X" times the brakes were applied. I forget how this was done, but the system worked OK. The 475B's were good production loaders of their day (out performing 992s) but didn't last as long!!!!!

telescooper

We use several manufacturers auto greasers. I like them, but the grease lines can be a pain. They can be easily torn out if not hard plumbed, but that is not always possible. Brush and other stuff will pull them apart. Some things will still have to be greased by hand, like bucket pins and links. I think they save grease, and time if properly set up. The greasers we have are easily filled. I don't fix them so I don't know about setting them up or repairing them.
Telescooper

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
the auto greasers on cat scrapers need to be redone. i noticed you said all cat grease systems are made by the same company? cause i noticed that the scraper setups especially around the neck,where all the pins and the other major components are,there are grease lines going everywhere,i dont think that all the mojor pins get enough grease.

Goat

I worked for an OEM equipment manufacturer in my recent past and we used Lincoln systems for our equipment from backhoes to wheeled loaders to large excavators. Do not manipulate the system. It is no different than restricting the flow on an AC system. A certain amount of flow and pressure is expected in the system. If you have multiple operators with questionable levels of accountability, I would highly recommend installing an auto-lube system. Reduce the amount of operator accountability and increase the level of machine longevity. Just my thoughts....

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Here is the one on my M-9 street sweeper. great system unless you smash a line. 3800 hours with only 1 bearing replaced.

The amount to each location is controlled by the fitting at the beginning of the tube to each grease joint. they are color coded. The system is set to run 1 cycle ever 10 minutes.

Attachments

• auto-lub-on-M9-01.jpg
    auto-lub-on-M9-01.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2,085
  • auto-lub-on-M9-02.jpg
    auto-lub-on-M9-02.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,980
  • auto-lub-on-M9-03.jpg
    auto-lub-on-M9-03.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,950
  • auto-lub-on-M9-04.jpg
    auto-lub-on-M9-04.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,956

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Maybe I missed it but it seems to me like another advantage is there's no dirty fittings or tips on guns to have to make sure are clean. In this manner there's not even the slightest bit of contamination in those fittings that would normally be hand greased?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Nice Northart.

Did the system grease all the points, or do u have to go out and do some manualy?

Our 976 still got 4 left on the blade pitch sylinders, two on the blade slide and one on the support bearing for the power axle from gearbox to diff.;)
(we also have one grader where u need to grease the axles for the sprockets on the turntable. The rest got a svivelling connection)

cat 385

the co. i work for has set just about all the iron up with auto lube i cant remember the make of ours but it has 3 different settins for the amount of grease depending on conditions and has a orange light let you know it is getting low and a red light when it runs out.

tylermckee

Whats a ballpark amount of the cost to set up an auto lube on an excavator, 120-200 size machine. Is the grease line something you cave to crimp on or is it a compression fitting?

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
tylermckee

on a new Volvo L60E it is about a $7000 option. I have found used pumps on E-bay for around $1200 to $1500 each without lines or a timer. Fittings run around 5 to 7 dollars each and the line is cheap. 2 to 3 cents a foot.

Northart

Cat 14M Auto Lube

Hello MKTEF,

I dunno about if every point is serviced by the auto lube.

I know there was several grease manifolds, and grease lines everywhere. There was a relief valve at each manifold, and a zerk fitting for a manual grease gun, in case the lines got plugged for some reason.

The service oiler had to get out the book just like me, as it was new to everyone.

We looked , to see if grease was present at the lube places. So it was working.

Just don't remember:beatsme if the ripper was serviced , but I think it was.

Attachments

• Minto Job 078.jpg
    Minto Job 078.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,840

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I guessed that, just wondered if there was a svivel down under to the main blade..
It dosent show good, but looks like a black hose to the pitch sylinder in that pic.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Not equipment, but I had a Groenveld CPL on my Paystar dump truck. I swear by them. Never would have a machine without. My truck cost $4000.00 Canadian, but that was for everything on a tri-axle dump, even the clevis pins on the auto slack adjusters. The amount of grease is adjustable, you just change the size of the jets in your distribution blocks. And you can easily add or delete grease points. In three years of year round work I used 2 five gallon pails of CPL grease (EP-0 and EP-0 winter grade). So at $90 to $100.00 a pail I think it pays for itself, considering what you'd pay for a tube of grease, and use at least two tubes every time (in which you always end up overgreasing). The timers on CPL's are adjustable. I had mine set to grease every two hours when the engine is running. Sounds excessive but you have to remember they only push about 10 cc's of grease, so they basically just keep all your points wet. Provided you have professionals such as CPL design your system for it's application with the right size jets and lines.
The thing I like about them is they grease when all your parts are moving and at operating temperature. It was a lot nicer to crawl under the truck daily to just inspect, not stick my hands all over greasy fittings. Ya I know, I'm a wuss, lol. I don't like getting dirty:D
Mine was flawless, only cut one line when I had the back axle burried at severe articulation (my own fault), but they are easy to fix. I can only comment on the CPL system because that's the only one I have any experience with.

Pecord Exc

5000 hours on out 312B all original pins and bushings that are tighter than on almost any excavator with over 200 hours! I think it works out pretty well for us! Ours is the Lincoln System I am not sure wich one because it has been ten years since we got it with the machine. I think that they are worth the $$$.