• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Australian 'Mine Spec' Loaders!

farmerbob

Hi all,

My farming property is located within a very rich Gold and Mineral producing area of Victoria, Australia.

Being that my principle source of income is Primary Production, I also hold several Mineral Exploration leases over various parts of the property which I wish to utilize in an effort to diversify my current income.

My question being, does my current loader need to satisfy Mining specifications in regards to 'safety equipment standards' within the machine?

Given that my intended plan would be for 'Surface Operations' on private property, although the entity would be run as a commercial business under my current 'Primary Producers' banner.

My current machine is a CL130TC loader from Champion Machinery Aust which i use for various duties in farming around the property and is a very capable machine.

The company informs me that they have the CL130TC available now with 'Mining Spec' certification such as Fire Suppression systems, emergency stops etc.

Im very safety conscious and like the idea of these extra safety features even for farming....I could easily 'trade-up for minimal outlay', but am I required to have them?

I will do some more research when time permits, but im just wondering if anyone here has had much experience with this issue regarding front-end loaders?

Whats the go in the U.S regarding this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards

Bob :)

lantraxco

It is my belief that here in the US, even on privately held property, you would need not only a permit to mine your own mineral deposits, but an air, water, and soil emissions plan/permits and a reclamation plan to put everything right when you're done. Mining is mining and your machinery and operations would fall under MSHA (Mining safety and health agency) regulations and inspections. This would include rock quarries, sand pits, and the like. You fellows feel free to correct me if I'm misinformed.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

farmerbob. I know little about mining except for small scale gravel, gold, sapphire and opal scratching . . . I think you need to post more information as to what you are doing.

My first reaction was why would you get involved or be concerned about "mine spec" machinery on a probably bucks down small scale operation? I really burr up at the notion that a farmer would be "required to have" a mine spec. machine to load out gravel from a pit on the lower forty.

I am sure their are folks on here who can comment about Australian regulations which I feel may be a bit more realistic than those outlined by lantraxco in the states . . . I know folks selling "run of the ridge" gravel and the conditions are not too onerous on freehold property, could be different on leasehold.

Cheers.

farmerbob

Thanks for the replies guys!

Basically my aim is to surface old 'deep leads' that run through the property in an open-cut style operation, washing the paydirt through my washplant and gem jigs.

lantraxco is pretty much on the money in regards to the lands rehabilitation and reclamation. I had to put up a fair amount of $$ towards this as part of the 'Mineral Lease' agreement, even though its my land.

Im starting to think that i might upgrade to Champion Machinery's 'Mine Spec' CL130 as I think its good value for money, and keeps things on the safe side by ticking all the boxes with the mines dept.

If the thing catches fire whist Im mining instead of storing hay bales, at least its covered by my insurance policy which was really a primary producers policy to begin with from the outset.

Thanks again for your help, and I will post some pics of any big gold finds im lucky enough to come across!

Cheers

Bob

Karl Robbers

Based upon my time hard rock mining underground, you need regular servicing of fire suppression systems to remain compliant. Every 6 months I think it was, we discharged and refilled the fire suppression system.
This could be quite a cost and inconvenience for a farmer/part time miner, but does provide the highest standard of safety reasonably achievable, so I'll let the decision be yours.

Jimbo

I have a couple questions to help me understand the "rights" a private landowner may or may not have down under
Do you own or lease the surface estate? If you own the surface outright, do you own the subsurface minerals? Is it even possible to own the subsurface(or any minerals) in Australia?
I realize the private property rights we hold dear in the USA are unmatched elsewhere, but I know nothing about other countries.
Thank you, Jimbo

lantraxco

In recent times many states here have seized water and other mineral rights under privately owned land using the excuse that the landowners did not have the rights explicitly stated in the title deeds. So, you can't pump water out of your own ground to water your crops or supply your house because the state owns it. That ain't right.