• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV RC50 Drives turned down?

02SILVER

Hello, I just acquired an ASV RC50 for a great price at an auction. The engine and hydraulics seem to run great but it feels like the drive system has been tuned down. It pushes dirt but will then stop forward motion like a relief is opening and it does not have a full bucket. It a fails to turn in place without working the joystick back and forth and also feels like the hydraulics cut out. Some of the other ASV units I have driven will push until you tell it to stop. I have replaced all the coils on the unit. The loader operates with no problem. What should be my next step? Would a rental yard have turned down the system pressure to keep it from being torn up? If so where would I look to check the pressure and return to spec? Your help is much appreciated, thanks!

02SILVER

Hey guys, I just found a post on a CAT forum about a 247 that has the exact same symptoms as mine. I believe the 247b and the RC50 have basically the same drive system. Here is the post:
Recently our 247 track machine started acting up after about 15 minutes of running. The tracks will just slowly start to cut in and out. The longer it runs the harder it becomes to move and eventually leading to complete failure and is a paper weight. After the machine cools down you can hop in it and drive it no problems at all for 15 minutes. When the tracks start to cut in and out you can drive it but once met with resistance such as pushing dirt or anything it just cuts out 100%. It will not even go up a hill when it starts acting up. A few suggestions we already have gotten were One of the track motors is failing, Another was the parking break is shorting out and coming on. I just flushed 90% of the systems hydraulics by taking off every line and blowing it out, I even cleared all the cylinders, Put a new Cat filter and the higher grade hydraulic fluid. It worked for about an hour this time till it started acting up but it is acting up again.

When driving it when it start to act up its like you hit and invisible wall and it will just dead stop if you're going up a hill or sometimes even on flat ground, And it takes a lot of coaxing to get it to move again, If you get stuck going forward usually you can get it to go back wards or you can walk it back and forth by working the control stick back and forth moving each track individually.... Its a really odd problem and we have gotten a lot of different opinions Im pretty much open to anything at this point.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this problem?

f311fr1

Run a hydraulic pressure check per the service manual to see if it meets spec. If it does swing the drive motors out and take the case drain line from the motor into a bucket and see how much drain oil you get in a specific time. Should not be over 1-2 gallons a min. If it over this your drive motor need rebuilt. Track Loader Parts in GA has parts and service manuals for free down load. The pump and motors are Rexroth.

02SILVER

Ok, I hooked up a gauge to the charge pressure port and have 425 psi at Full throttle which is perfectly in the middle of the 400 - 450 spec range. However when the drives are engaged to turn after the oil warms up the pressure drops to 100 psi where a relief valve opens and stops any attempt to continue turning. This also happens while pushing into a pile of dirt. I guess my next step is to pull the drive case drain lines and figure out if they are in spec. Any thoughts?

bartelbe

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Technician
Your charge pressure drops to 100 psi when using the drive function? If thats true then i would be surprised if thats enough to release the brakes. The drive pump has 4 main reliefs 1 for each "loop" forward left,forward right,reverse left and reverse right. They are non adjustable but if this was a main drive relief issue it would have to be all of them , not likely. If charge pressure is dropping that much then next step would be to cap both hose to left drive motor and re test to see if charge pressure drops followed by the right motor or vice versa. No drop = good .

KENSMITH

My 247 b have similar symptoms. I took it to dealer for diagnostics and they found out that there’s dirt, water and rust in the fuel tank. The fuel tank is part of the frame and not removable. 1500 bucks just to wash it and they saying that it would last for a couple years. So sad. The best way to prevent it is to keep your fuel tank FILLED ALL THE TIME