• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Asv pt100 injection pump issue

topfli8979

I've got a weird issue here guys, just bought a 2008 Asv pt100 at auction.

The throttle lever on injection was tied with a spring to be advanced fully because the throttle cable is broke. I replaced throttle cable and removed spring to put pump lever back at idle... I can start machine it idles, moving the lever on top of injection pump does not adjust rpms much at all/very minimal. But of I shut engine off tie the throttle lever with spring like it was when I got it. Start engine it will run full bore rpm.. what the heck is going on?

Engine is a Perkins 1104-44t

topfli8979

Yes sir,. I can go lock to lock on the throttle at pump. It's very minimal throttle increase and slow/stumbley at that.

topfli8979

If I tie it to full throttle while engine is running it's very slow increase but never reaches full rpms... Shut engine off, restart engine it's running full bore...

topfli8979

I just tried that. From full throttle at pump control it slowly fall back to idle with spring removed. Like 10 seconds from full throttle to idle. Craziest thing I've ever seen

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
It’s normal for a stuck metering valve..
Sorry for the news but, it’s gotta come off..BUT BEFORE YOU DO, make sure u have enough fuel to run.. (bad supply pump) OR a clogged filter under the inlet nut.

topfli8979

It’s normal for a stuck metering valve..
Sorry for the news but, it’s gotta come off..BUT BEFORE YOU DO, make sure u have enough fuel to run.. (bad supply pump) OR a clogged filter under the inlet nut.

Ok I will check fuel delivery. Do you notice a knock or am I hearing things? Could pump have something to do with that?

topfli8979

Yea I definitely am hearing a knock.... Hope that's all it is, fuel issue. Is the governer in the injection pump as well??? It all but wants to kill the engine when I'm moving the machine around. Put a load on it and it bogs something terrible.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Yes, the governor is in the pump.
It can only b a couple of things..
There is a plastic filter screen below the inlet nut..
If it’s clogged, it’ll give those symptoms ..
If the supply pump is bad, it’ll give those symptoms..
If the metering valve is stuck/sticking, it’ll give those symptoms..
Freeing up the mv, is not a diy job.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
From the video I would guess that’s a valve train noise like a loose rocker or something. Hard to tell without being there. Could be more serious. You probably want to find that noise before you pull the pump off.

topfli8979

I pulled valve cover checked all valves rods and rockers, they all look ok and in spec. Removed all belts to take fan,water pump, alternator out of equation. Left valve cover off, started engine knock still there,. Loosened injector lines one at a time. Loosening affected the way engine ran but knock NEVER went away with any injector line loosening. I'm not a diesel mechanic by any means, more of a shade tree guy, but if knock was coming from crank bearing/rod wouldn't the knock go away if I kill that cylinder??

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
If it had a chunk of carbon on top of a piston tapping on the head it would sound like that too but would not go away by cutting off fuel.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
An old trick. With a long screwdriver with a good sized handle, place the blade end on the engine and put your ear on the handle and listen. Move as required, works the same as a doctors stethoscope.