• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASL300/RC-30 Loses power when digging.

GlennD62

Hello all,
This is my first post, so many apologies in advance.
My Polaris ASL 300 which I have been told is the same machine now as the RC-30, is that correct? Well, I have had it for about 7 years and really can't complain, I have two buckets and a backhoe attachment, which digs wonderfully, usually.
Recently, the machine started giving me this issue. I start it as usual. Warm day, start it up, let it idle for a bit while I get things lined out to dig. But now, everytime I start to use the hydraulics to operate the bucket, either the backhoe, or just the regular scoop bucket, it causes the engine to start idling down. And if I put too much of a load or strain on it, it will even stall out the engine. Now I can coax it along and get it to dig, but not well. Also, as I am driving across the lot, if I am moving along, and put too much into the steering, it will cause the engine to slow down. Any amount of use on the hydraulics causes the engine to idle down.
Any suggestions on what to look for or what to try? I use to have a good manual for this machine, but about a month ago, I had a fire and lost my house, my garage, my shop and everything in it. I am fairly good mechanically, I can follow your directions well. It just might take me a bit to go out and get the tools needed to do the repairs.
I thank you all in advance.
GlennD62

GlennD62

I changed all of the filters this past summer thinking that this might be part of the problem. It didn't make a difference.

Delmer

Two options the way I see it.

First option, tee a pressure/vacuum gauge into the fuel supply line to the injection pump and see if the pressure drops from idle to loaded.

Second option, assume the fuel supply is blocked and pull it apart to find out where. Drain the tank, suck it out with a vacuum and/or "suck bucket", and blow out and take apart as many fittings as you can.

dljbelle

Make sure the auxiliary pedal isn't stuck on somehow and check to see if the fuel shut off lever wasn't knocked partially closed by the throttle linkage.

DIYDAVE

If you google around, there is a manual, for the engine, perkins 403d, available, as a free download. Sounds like a fuel delivery issue, start at the tank, and work your way to the pump. Also look for bad hoses, clamps, filter, pickup tube, in the tank, and finally injector pump. I have over 2500 hrs on mine, and have done it all... Also check the hyd solenoids, under the foot plate...

Coastiebro

Occupation
Ex diesel mechanic now contractor
Is the water trap - pre filter not blocked, they are in a #$%^ of a place and often get over looked, I found out the hard way. On my PT 30 it is on the LH side of the hydraulic tank under the fuel filler tube.

rossaroni

IIRC they had a perkins 3013 in the rc30. same engine that is in a 303.5 cat. I had a lift pump so full of rust that it wouldnt pass fuel. took me a week to find it. disconnect the inlet and outlet fuel lines, unscrew the phillips head screw in the middle, and lift off the cover. might be worth the 5 minutes it takes