• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Articulated Steering vs. 4 Wheel Steering

HighFlyerAK

I have been looking at compact wheel loaders for quite some time now. Thanks to this forum in parts, my focus has turned to Wacker Neuson and their line of CWL's.
In particular, I am looking at the WL37, 5055, 850 and/or 1150 - trying to compare the pro's and con's.
Where the WL37, 5055 and 850 are somewhat close to each other in comparison, the 1150 is slightly bigger/expensive.
Regardless, the WL37 and the 5055 are very close! Biggest difference here is the type of steering, certainly the 4 wheel steering has the lead here.
What I wonder - Is there a chance that this particular type of steering might be more susceptible to maintenance?

Anyone here who has experience with either one or even with both long term?

Thanks,
Andy

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
1 for articulated steering, its much more versatile, you can even lay pipes with them and they also have built in bucket tilt.:D

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
All about articulation. First you have straight axles. No cv joints to worry about. Second you have no knuckle pins to worry about. Grease the two bearings in the frame and you are done.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think certainly if you look only at simplicity, a typical articulated machine is much simpler with less to go wrong. However there are some benefits of the 4 wheel steering such as stability with a load over uneven terrain, that can make the increased complication of the 4 wheel steer worth it depending on application. I have driven their 4 wheel steer machines in a demo area and I liked running them, very tight turning radius. I have not rented them or spent a great deal of time with them, but if you were going to consider one, you have to look at benefits that the system provides as well as the shortcomings. If your area of operation tends to be flat, than it might not be worth the initial upfront cost or the upkeep. However if your working in uneven terrain, than the benefits may be worth the price.

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
I agree with KSSS. Also, the 4-ws machine is typically more maneuverable than the articulated one. That could matter if space is tight. But the problem with the 4-ws units I've looked at the specs of, their aux. hydraulic flow is not as high as the articulated units. I don't know why not??