• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Artic Roughnecks

hvy 1ton

Anybody watch this on discovery last night? It followed to catcos delivering fuel to a remote helicopter base and a company building an ice road for a 3 million pound self propelled drill rig.
It should come on a couple more times this week since its Alaska Week.

Pecord Exc

I watched, I thought it was pretty cool , especially building the ice road by "building up" the ice then "sinking" it. Some cool iron they had, I have never thought of using a ditch witch like they did to build a road!

JDOFMEMI

I missed the beginning, and turned it on when they said they weere going to drive on the ice to sink it:eek::eek::eek:
It was only later I realized it was not very deep under the ice.

I liked when the loader was checking if they were on the lake or not
"Don't do that again!"

If anyone gets a chance to watch, it is a good show

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I saw some of it on and off looked neat.

jimmyjack

yea i saw it ,thought it was pretty cool....maybe they'll make a show outta it , pretty sure thats how ice road truckers started it was a "pilot" show

mudmaker

I liked when the loader was checking if they were on the lake or not
"Don't do that again!"

I thought that was funny when he said that.

Good show. Pretty cool how they built that road. I liked how they made the break wall. Wonder how many times they fought it before that idea came up.

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
CATCO (Crowley All Terrain Company)

Crowley Marine Services:notworthy

Attachments

• chavez prudhoe 001.jpg
    chavez prudhoe 001.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 4,568

BigK600

I am watching this show right now cool as hell. Thats a job for me! I'd love to do that work. It aint cold enough in Northwest Minnesota for me. :D

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Quite the rig, ain't they.
Seems to have a European manufactured COE truck cab with sleeper and everything.
Getting a flat bag must not be a fun undertaking. I'd hope that rubber would be considerably thicker than one would imagine, who'd want to deal with jacking that contraption up at -50 on the tundra at 2:00 a.m. to fix a flat, eh?

Last edited:

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
loved it D7's on the ice 16h's anold euclid waterwagon....whats not to like. and NO OVERACTING!!!!!

hvy 1ton

Lowboy, I believe those cabs are used on the Freightliner Argosy, at least i think thats how its spelled. I'm pretty sure thats what swift uses for the their truck/trailer combos with the curtain sides.

mudmaker

Lowboy, I believe those cabs are used on the Freightliner Argosy, at least i think thats how its spelled. I'm pretty sure thats what swift uses for the their truck/trailer combos with the curtain sides.

That is where I have seen them! I thought they were freightliners, but couldnt find any picks. If you look at that pick it looks like it has a freightliner emblem on it just above the crowley sign.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
They are Freightliner cabs (way older than the Argus). Those were originally brought to the North Slope by Bectel a long time ago. Originally they were designed for use in the middle east deserts to supply drill rigs and adapted to the artic. CATCO (Crowley All Terrain Company) a subsidiary of Crowley Maritime who bought them from Bechtel, sometime in the 70,s, if you would like to see some interesting history of Crowley and CATCO in the state of Alaska follow this link and you will get some interesting reading and see some cool photos. And yes i have been rescued more than once from a blow using these machines.
http://www.crowley.com/images/50_in_Alaska.PDF