• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Are there any companies that aren't Chinese with lower prices?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I think its great. I think it works out better for everyone that way. I been in sales for 14 years now and can tell you the bigger a company is the worse everything gets.
Sunbelt is arriving and purchasing all the established rental houses. Nobody wants to deal with Sunbelt. I’d rather rent from Joe Bob down the street.

There is another small outfit, using an all Caterpillar fleet. He competes very well against the CRS, due to better customer service.

MG84

There aren’t as many Kato machines around as other brands, but they are out there. Both our Case dealer and New Holland dealer sell and rent Kato machines as well. Usually they have at least a couple 3.5-5 ton mini ex’s in stock. My brother down in NC frequently rents a 3.5t mini from the local rental house there. Also the Canycom tracked concrete buggies are made by Kato and are extremely popular.

The other reason you mat not be seeing a lot of machines is the Kato brand is relatively new in the US. IHI was fairly popular several years ago, IHI is now Kato.

Truck Shop

Its a interesting business model, that I've seen in the equipment rental and waste hauling. Start up, get a good little business going, and sell out to the big boys.

Wait for your non compete to expire, and start up all over again.
Model---that's a scheme.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Its a interesting business model, that I've seen in the equipment rental and waste hauling. Start up, get a good little business going, and sell out to the big boys.

Yep - Been there, done that.

Non-compete expired years ago and kicking the idea around to start another roll-off company. All the small guys here have been consumed by the larger guys. Most people in the construction business like to deal with a real live human they can build a relationship with not a 1-800 #.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none

That is the standard procedure around my area for waste haulers. It's like a 5-10 year cycle.

Once they get bought out by the big boys they change their name every 2 years.

Veolia/Advanced Disposal/Waste Management/Republic. I think it's Republic currently anyway . . .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Green For Life (GFL) is the new big boy around here.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Green For Life (GFL) is the new big boy around here.

Yeah, them too, I forgot them . . .

Speaking of which, I love the "green" thing they do. "Think Green", "Green for Life". Like the refuse business is so environmentally friendly . . . lol

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
GFL sold a lot of locations to republic.....

We've also had a three or four new roll off companies start up in our area in the last two years.

Republic recently bought Santec and GFL bought WCA. The largest regional hauler we have is AmWaste. I expect them to sell out in the not too distant future.

Cody01

Getting back on track I talked a little more with Kato. Their equipment looks really solid. I think I am going to grab a 1.7t excavator and the narrow skid steer to give them a try. It seems like a huge risk because now more than ever the market is flooded with chinese equipment and I have looked into that stuff as well. For the same money I can get litterly 3 machines to one Kato but I just have a feeling that stuff is pure garbage even though there are people saying theirs is lasting. Those are guys with like 80 machine hours. I think the Japanese equipment will be in use thousands of hours longer than the chinese. Its just the problem of selling that on a buyer.

crane operator

We have some kind of a trade show going on at our convention center here in town. I spotted a brand new hyundai excavator and clt in the parking lot. A local dealer is carrying their line.

Had a pretty nice looking volvo, looks like its expensive enough for only a gov't entity.

IMG_5383.JPGIMG_5382.JPG

MG84

Getting back on track I talked a little more with Kato. Their equipment looks really solid. I think I am going to grab a 1.7t excavator and the narrow skid steer to give them a try. It seems like a huge risk because now more than ever the market is flooded with chinese equipment and I have looked into that stuff as well. For the same money I can get litterly 3 machines to one Kato but I just have a feeling that stuff is pure garbage even though there are people saying theirs is lasting. Those are guys with like 80 machine hours. I think the Japanese equipment will be in use thousands of hours longer than the chinese. Its just the problem of selling that on a buyer.
I know it's a lot of money, but the things I see selling the most are the Kato HD35V5 and HD50V5 mini excavators and the Canycom concrete buggies. The 1.7t might be a good seller too, IDK. I doubt there is a huge market for the small narrow wheeled skid steers like there used to be. The stand on tracked ctl's have taken a big part of that market, the rest has gone to the concrete buggies. A lot of guys figured out you could load those 36" wide tracked concrete buggies with a small mini ex. They haul dirt, gravel, and debris just as good as concrete, basically a mini tracked dumper.

You are correct on your assumption of those small Chinese mini excavators being complete garbage. A lot of them use grade 5 bolts instead of pivot pins, pi$$ poor cylinders, and a lot of joints are not greaseable. On top of that, the little engines they use don't have pressure oil lubrication, run it too long on an angle or on too steep of a hill and it'll toast the motor.

Welder Dave

We have some kind of a trade show going on at our convention center here in town. I spotted a brand new hyundai excavator and clt in the parking lot. A local dealer is carrying their line.

Had a pretty nice looking volvo, looks like its expensive enough for only a gov't entity.

View attachment 307046View attachment 307047
I always figured it was built too light when a standard bucket has internal braces. I can see it on a wide snow bucket but not a standard digging bucket.

BC Placer gold

I know it's a lot of money, but the things I see selling the most are the Kato HD35V5 and HD50V5 mini excavators and the Canycom concrete buggies. The 1.7t might be a good seller too, IDK. I doubt there is a huge market for the small narrow wheeled skid steers like there used to be. The stand on tracked ctl's have taken a big part of that market, the rest has gone to the concrete buggies. A lot of guys figured out you could load those 36" wide tracked concrete buggies with a small mini ex. They haul dirt, gravel, and debris just as good as concrete, basically a mini tracked dumper.

You are correct on your assumption of those small Chinese mini excavators being complete garbage. A lot of them use grade 5 bolts instead of pivot pins, pi$$ poor cylinders, and a lot of joints are not greaseable. On top of that, the little engines they use don't have pressure oil lubrication, run it too long on an angle or on too steep of a hill and it'll toast the motor.
Ritchie bros Nisku had dozens of small Chinese minis powered by lawnmower engines. Kingpost made from poorly welded thin gauge plate (rather than heavy casting).
We rented an IHI 40 once, nice machine with smooth hydraulics.

kaffine

Ritchie Bros has a few of the small cheap excavators that are inoperable for sale here. All say fuel issues with less than 1 hour on the meter. The normal selling price of them is too high to be a toy for me though. I keep wondering who is using these.