• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

are LIEBHERRs nice?

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I ran one, I forget the model number, it was about the size of a cat 225. It was a nice machine, very smooth. The only big contractor I know that has a big fleet of them is Brandenburg, the big demo contractor. I think because Liebherr will custom build the booms and sticks for demo work.

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I ran a 932, a 952, and a 934 about nine or ten years ago. They seemed to be pretty nice machines and had good power in all there functions. The undercarriages seemed to be well built and balanced too. The joysticks were like what you would find in a video game, but all the gauges, buttons etc. were in German making it hard to figure out what did what. lol The story I had from my co-workers was that the owner of the company had investments in Liebherr which was why at the time nearly all they're excavators and track loaders were Liebherr machines and if anybody in the area wanted a Liebherr they could buy from through this construction company. I think there is a Liebherr plant in the U.S. but I think they concentrate most of they're equipment sales in North America on big mining machines, cranes, and things like scrap handlers.

Turbo21835

I ran one, I forget the model number, it was about the size of a cat 225. It was a nice machine, very smooth. The only big contractor I know that has a big fleet of them is Brandenburg, the big demo contractor. I think because Liebherr will custom build the booms and sticks for demo work.
I believe there is engineering involved from liebherr in Brandenburgs sticks and booms. If memory serves me right they got together, and liebherr will still warranty the machines after Brandenburg has modified them. Most of what Brandenburg runs is not built by the factory, rather it is built in house.

I have heard the only issue with Liebherr machines is getting parts. Not sure how true this is. It is also my understanding that they are the only crane manufacture that is selling duty cycle cranes. In fact, I have heard they are the only crane company that have literature showing their cranes swinging a wrecking ball.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
turbo, you are right about b-burg. they make almost all their attachments and modify everything. awesome outfit from an engineering standpoint.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
We had a 901 rubber tire. Single boom cylinder.
Levers from the handles to the valves and a manual swing brake- killed your forearm on the swing side when on a side hill.

We ran Liebherr grapples on all our machines. Boss said we had to be a registered owner to buy grapples and parts so it spent the remainder of it's life as a mechanics crane in the yard. When we went to trade it in on a new cat 212, they gave us $5000 to keep it.

Whenever I start our Bomag, the crack of the Deutz reminds me of the old "Bear".

Sniff...

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
From what I heard from an associate that you and I both know Turbo.... Brandenburg sends new iron out with the intention to bust it up. So they can bring it back to the shop and make it indestructable. Which is to say the least.... a good idea for demo lol.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I believe there is engineering involved from liebherr in Brandenburgs sticks and booms. If memory serves me right they got together, and liebherr will still warranty the machines after Brandenburg has modified them. Most of what Brandenburg runs is not built by the factory, rather it is built in house.

I have heard the only issue with Liebherr machines is getting parts. Not sure how true this is. It is also my understanding that they are the only crane manufacture that is selling duty cycle cranes. In fact, I have heard they are the only crane company that have literature showing their cranes swinging a wrecking ball.

They make the best duty cycle crane going, Manitowoc, Link belt can't hold a candle to Liebherr. Parts can be a pain but they are one strong machine without much down time, and simple to repair if you have the service book.

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
I worked for a huge sewer+water company in Milwuakee and they bought a Liebherr to replace a 1266. I think it was a 984 or 986 not sure, I seen it apart in the shop yard and it quite large. They said it was a real nice machine to run.

Cletus

Occupation
Operator of Older Equipment, Old Equipment Operato
My friend has had several over the years. He started with a 911 then a 912 then a 942 and now has a 954 which is immaculately maintaned. I have run them and they are exellent machines. No more costly than Cats and the new Liebherrs out lift the cats.
I call them Liebherrschnousers! The Cat factorys are full of Liebherr machine tools.

mljohn

replaced a engine in a 934 scrap yard machine that had 32 thousand hours on it and never been apart. still ran strong just replaced on hrs.