• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Appalachian trailer

93CobraCPR

Does anyone know about Appalachian trailers? They are located in PA and OH and I live in MN.

I like to know about weld and craftsmanship quality.

Trailer interested in:
Gooseneck 32 ft deck over w/ 4 ft pop up dovetail (36 ft) w/ two 7000# torsion axles. Curb weight is about 4400#. They are asking $5500. This is $1500 cheaper and 2000# lighter then other trailers.

I figure their trailers are not over built and low quality paint but I want to have quality welds and craftsmanship.

I know it may not be the best but alot of trailer are over built and weight with it. I'm going to haul 2 race cars and equipment box. I'm looking at bed lining trailer later so quality paint means more time prepping for lining.

Please only comments if you know about Appalachian trailers!

Thanks.

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
my buddy has an applichain gooseneck trailer, he has never said anything bad about it, we haul an 8 thousand pulling truck and various pulling tractors with it and never had any problems with it. you can see some pics of it on our webiste. http://www.fullthrottlepullingteam.com/

thejdman04

I dont know about them but recommend bakerbuilttrailerworks.com where i bought my trailer top notch. Everythign is customized, tie down points etc.

TrailerStory

Same as Kaufman and Trailer Baron

Appalachian is owned by the same person that owns Kaufman Trailers. He acquired from Larry Kaufman a few years ago. I would strongly recommend looking at the warranty and researching Kaufman before making the decision. Just friendly advice.

Does anyone know about Appalachian trailers? They are located in PA and OH and I live in MN.

I like to know about weld and craftsmanship quality.

Trailer interested in:
Gooseneck 32 ft deck over w/ 4 ft pop up dovetail (36 ft) w/ two 7000# torsion axles. Curb weight is about 4400#. They are asking $5500. This is $1500 cheaper and 2000# lighter then other trailers.

I figure their trailers are not over built and low quality paint but I want to have quality welds and craftsmanship.

I know it may not be the best but alot of trailer are over built and weight with it. I'm going to haul 2 race cars and equipment box. I'm looking at bed lining trailer later so quality paint means more time prepping for lining.

Please only comments if you know about Appalachian trailers!

Thanks.

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
I see plenty of them here in Pa. They are cheaper trailer but get the job done. All depends upon how hard yoiu plan on using your trailer in my opinion. For everyday heavy use I would look elsewhere however for the occasional use I feel its an excellent value and would serve you just fine. The better trailers these days are BIG money. I own a 30 foot Goose neck from them with zero issues and its on the road most everyday. I don't think you would be going wrong by getting one. Best of luck on your search.

TrailerStory

This company is now owned by Kaufman Trailers. I would strongly recommend looking closely at other options before making this purchase.

06Pete

I don' know about the Appalachain but if they are owned by the same people as Kaufman trailers I would say they are good Quality affordable trailersas I know of 3 of them and have used 2 of them and they pull good look good and are holding up good.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
This company is now owned by Kaufman Trailers. I would strongly recommend looking closely at other options before making this purchase.

Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, TrailerStory.

While your posts don't directly say anything negative about that manufacturer, your chosen username, and the tone of your posts suggests that you may have had a negative experience.

Our Forum Rules say, among other things:

This site is designed for the exchange of information. It is not however, intended to provide members with a forum to trash one manufacturer or employer over another. Accounts of third party experiences are discouraged, unless you were on hand to witness any problem the third party may have had with a particular machine or employer.

(Bold added for emphasis.)

Implicit in that rule is the principle that if you're going to suggest there's a problem with a particular brand of equipment, you should be able to substantiate it through personal experience, not simply offer vague "friendly advice."

So what is your trailer story? :cool2

PonyExpress94

I have run an Appalachian and it is a decent trailer for the price. It was an 8.5' x 24' 15,000 lb GVW. The paint was okay for being less than a year old and the height of the tongue could be restrictive to newer pickups with higher ride heights from the factory. It had LED running lights and the wiring was fair and run economically, which is to say minimal hangers and butt splices that were merely wrapped with electrical tape. A few things I learned about that trailer through use and research on the Appalachian trailer website:

1 - The trailer axles are set fairly far back in relation to other GN trailers I have experience with. This made the trailer take a much shorter path through turns and made it more difficult to manuever in tighter spaces that you might unwillingly end up in.

2 - Even though the trailer had a 15,000 lb GVW, the trailer was equipped with two 6,000 lb axles and matching 235/80/16 radial tires.

3 - As a result of 1 and 2 above; the tongue weight is quite substantial in order to avoid overloading the trailer axles. When a trailer is rated for this situation from the factory it is known as "uprating" and it is one way manufacturers can use lighter duty components, at a less expensive purchase price and still have a competitively speced trailer. If you own a pickup that is near or slightly under the trailers rated capacity then it is likely you wouldn't be able to place a reasonably heavy load on the trailer without exceeding the trailer axles rating or the axle ratings of your truck. For the record, the trailer I used had a Tare weight of 4,200 lbs and had a Tare tongue weight of 800 lbs.

Had I not been in the market for an aluminum trailer, I would have considered an Appalachian, but ultimately, despite the weight savings, I was looking at a good bit of upfitting to get it where I wanted as far as axles, tires, lighting, toolboxes etc. Therefore, I went with a local builder of aluminum trailers that could build the trailer I needed from scratch in house.

Bottom line: For what you say your intended use will be, I don't think you can go wrong with an Appalachian. It rode very nicely behind the truck in my signature below. I do have some pictures of the trailer I used. If you want to PM me your email address I would be willing to send them to you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

yellowsocks19

Wanted to reply to this thread based on my experience searching for a trailer this week because jut not a lot of reviews on them. I drove almost 3 hours yesterday with the intent on purchasing a 30 ft 25k appalachian gooseneck trailer. I walk in the main office and they just look at me like i'm a nuisance. I ask if someone can help me with questions while i walk around lot. We find 3 trailers there that are this length and size I'm looking for. There is a one year frame warranty, they say they do no know what brand the axles are, and quite a bit of surface rust on these "new" trailers. They have no room for price negotiation. I am sick of looking at trailers and just decide to buy one. Ok, the price for that trailer is $8,699.. oh and $300 for the pop up dovetail we decided to add, and if you want a spare tire it will be extra also. So im looking at $9000 without a spare. I continue with intent to get it over with, then as i'm writing a personal check, they say they can not accept it and will not call my bank to verify it, and that it has to be cash or a certified check, so i have no choice now but to walk away. My wife searches on her phone and finds a dealer in millersburg, ohio, about 1 hour and 15 min away from there, gingerich tractor sales. I call them and tell them what I'm looking for. I show up, they have pulled up a 30 ft, 25k, PJ gooseneck, with monster ramps, upgraded deck hardwood, Dexter axles, a spare tire/wheel, cold weather wiring. I write a personal check and am heading down the road within 20 min with twice the trailer for..... $850 more than an appalachian, and all the upgrades in quality...oh, and a 3 year warranty.