• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone with experince around Cat 966k and 972k loaders

cat972

What are your thoughts on the Cat 966k and 972k? Are they good reliable machines? Do they have any reoccurring problems? Are the regen systems reliable?

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
972K 2 years old as of december 12th .10'000Hr extended warranty.full service contract from cat ( I didn't want to here any warranty B.LL S..T) 6032 hrs on it monday of this week. In concrete recycling yard only loader running. only 3 operator 's have run it. 1 injector replaced under warranty. did have to replace seal on front output drive shaft at trans yoke because the cat service tech had never cleaned out transmission breather:mad:.monday the serpentine belt broke (OH THAT'S NOT INCLUDED IN THE FULL SERVICE PAKAGE ) (and yes there was at least 6 The regen throw's a code at 5,000 Hrs cat has still not came out and fixed it. the parking brake is a bad design it's a drum style thats mounted right beside the drive shaft support bearing so when you grease it properly it end's up filling the parking brake full of grease and guess what it doesn't hold any more that seem's to be a common problem on cat loaders. The top of the bucket if falling apart spider webb cracked all across the top started about a year ago when it first started told cat about it then told me wasn't covered i welded it when the crack first started now it's really bad the cat factory rep looked at it and tried to say that the bucket was to big for it but it's one of the smaller buckets and my material weighs 10-15% less than than our quarry stone and there is another 972K at an asphalt plant that my bucket came with that machine new and they changed it out for a larger one?? I have been calling my pssr rep weekly lately and telling him that this bucket is about to split into to pieces and they had better git it fixed. The visibility is horrible out of the cab a lot of blind spots to the side and rear is like trying to see out the back of a dump truck you have to use the mirrors if they would raise the cab up 6-12" it would help a lot out the rear or have some sight lines in the hood. the windshield had a bad spot in it at about 2:00 and would mess with you when going down a hill or digging out of a pile while watching the upper part of the pile told them when i bought it they changed it them the first cold day it cracked all the way across they had to change it again. The Good it has lot's of power and the steering works good and controls. It's for sale if you are interested getting time for a new one before get's to many Hrs on it can't have any down time when it goes down it turn's my whole operation upside down.