• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone use a root plow on d6n

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums lbrecht!:drinkup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Thanks for sharing d9gdon, that's some interesting attachments. I really like the root rake that fits into the ripper tines, that would very handy for cleaning up after clearing. I would like to have a hang over root rake for my D5G.

8k bill

Occupation
Farmer grazier
My experience with blading heavy clay is, don,t plow to wet. If you get into it too early,you'll bring up slabs the size of Tasmania,and only thing that will break them up is the great man upstairs. Cheers Bill

Dustin

I have seen 2 root plows 1 on d8k with a complete frame that hooked to extra trunions on the track frame behind where the blade is attached (holt) and one that went into the ripper pockets on d7r (shop built). The one on the 8 worked well it was a full throttle pull the whole time... very hard pull. The one on the 7r worked pretty good but it pulled apart where it attached to the ripper shank pockets. I do not believe you would be able to pull a root plow with a 6n in heavy clay, probably just spin the tracks.

eight

D6n is same size as a jd750 pretty much, it'll pull, amaze you how much fuel it'll pull too, and you'll probably only get 1 acre per hour. Get one that's just 1' wider than the machine. I've never seen a newer dozer with a mounted root plow. All the new ones around here go in a ripper. Holt top mount should be a good plow, expensive. Industrial Bucket in Dallas builds bottom mount plows pretty cheap, less clearance under the ripper bar for trash to flow. In Texas we plow through light trees and heavy brush, if you clear the land off pretty good I'm sure the bottom mount is fine.

Root plow brings all the roots to the surface, what looked pretty good to start with will be a mess after plowing, have to rake it again, still won't get everything.